Author Topic: Arillas Vs Sidari  (Read 25963 times)

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Arillas Vs Sidari
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
please dont shout at me.
but last year it was my daughters 18th so she chose sidari.
must admit i loved it.
we did go may so pretty quiet.
BUT Arillas is the best and i missed it so much
thats why im so desperate to go this year

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 12:59:45 AM »
I must say that when I'm on the coach transfer I do think "thank God I'm not staying here" as I pass through Sidari, but then I look at the Menu boards outside the restaurants and everything is so much cheaper!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 01:49:38 AM »
We came to Arillas first in 2002 with 2 other couples. One was from the East End of London and he frequently pushed us all that we had to go to San Stef because "the drink's 'r aaarf a euuro cheeapuh!"

I got really fed up with it, because I could always have had one less (don't worry - we never did so, sandy, riggers, eggy, eileen et al - you know me better than that) but really want to enjoy where I am. Cheap isn't always right.

Arillas is NOT expensive and our hosts earn precious little for their hard work. Where else can a party of ten eat and drink and get entertained for £10 a head?  Try that here in blighty. It's only in rip-off-Britain that we grow up to make these choices. We lost the "value" and understand the "price".

Sorry alyvin, I'm not getting at you. I understand what you mean. We have lived on one teachers wages for years now, and are not immune to price. You said it yourself
then I look at the Menu boards outside the restaurants and everything is so much cheaper!

You have to work it out. Jen and me stay where we feel best and let everyone make their own choices.

And Sue - I'm not shouting. Everyone has to find what they want. Arillas isn't compulsory - but it is quite addictive!

best wishes
phil

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
i have to agree it is addictive.
im itching to book lol.
take care

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
I treated myself to an English breakfast at a place called BAZE, in Sidari, this morning.
OK, it's on the outskirts of Sidari, just nestled alongside Dimitrias Supermarket.

Lovely place, nice people, Greek Husband, English wife.
Very friendly and a comfortable feel about it. - Good breakfast too.
I'm sure they don't get as much business as those places in the "centre" but one of the few places to open in the winter.

So, if you do any summer shopping in Diellas or Dimitrias drop in there for a coffee.
( A change from the norm )

Everyone has their favourite resorts and Corfu needs a variety of places to suit all needs and pockets. Living here, the likes of us, sometimes welcome these places as it gives us a wider choice of where to spend those long winter hours.
And sometimes just as the locals like to revert back to Greek at the end of the season sometimes us English yearn for an English conversation.
Arillas is Arillas. Sidari is Sidari. St Stephanos is St Stephanos etc etc.
Choices and varieties are endless.

Important thing is that it's all Corfu and the more people to Corfu the better it could be for all of us regarding travel costs.
( You could argue that even Kavos and Benitses plays it's part here )
Who knows, maybe if things work out for Easyjet they could be flying direct from Bristol/Exeter etc etc.-
Cheers All
Negg

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
Interesting thoughts on Sidari, Eggy.  Like most things there are pros and cons.
Julia and I had two great holidays at Loulas Studios in Sidari, before we found Arillas.  Returning to the airport on the bus last year from Arillas, we picked up in Sidari, and it looked as if Loulas Studios were closed.  Shame - we were well looked after there and it was a good base for a holiday.  For the first one there we hired cycles for a week and toured the local area, then the second week we hired a car and explored further afield.
The second holiday in 2004 we hired a car for the fortnight, and that's how we found Arillas, and decided that if we came back to Corfu Arillas was the place for us.
We also liked Roda, and enjoyed lots of evening meals at the Aphrodite on the sea front there - recommended.

Two well fed Lincolnshire Yellow Bellies at the Aphrodite in Roda
Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Glenny

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »
We went to Sidari 4 years ago on a late deal, it did the job. We were sent there last year on a wild goose chase looking for a police station (don't ask!) and were so glad to get back to Arillas. People and car dodging not my scene I'm afraid.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
20 odd years ago I went to Ag George (sorry can't spell it properly!) with a friend and we ventured to Sidari - it was much quieter then, none of the hustle and bustle but I have to say it still has some lovely tavernas and the beach is glorious!  Guess it's changed to cater for what some holidaymakers want.
Cheryl O

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
I know its going off topic but has anyone been to Ag. George South.  We have friends going there in May.  they booked up before we could tempt them with Arillas.  Just wondered what Ag.G. sth is like and whether they will like it.  Pesonally I think they would have loved Arillas.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
We stayed there in 2004 in May. It's quite nice there as long as you aren't staying at the top of the hill(very steep). We found some good places to eat and had a good holiday,but our accommodation was very basic ,no bar or pool. Not quite as good as Arillas.

Paul

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
Blondegirl, a general view for you.

Paul

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »
Thanks, it looks lovely... very green.  I think they will enjoy it.  I dont think the hill will be too much of a problem.  from what I understand their accommodation isnt far from the beach.  It doesnt look as steep as Ag. Gordios though, thats a killer! Sue
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 02:30:58 PM »
Paul C
Great Picture.
The last time we were at this place was, about 8 years ago. It was a day trip for us to see the changes from 3 years before that.
It's certainly grown from the 3/4 Tavernas and few Appts that we remember.
Lovely beach.
Negg

Offline Oikodomophobia

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »
Eggy i know the Taverna you mean across the road from the Petrol station and Salt and Peppers. i often drink in there during the winter. nice people, i have been to Acharavi with there daughter a couple of times in the winter.

looks like i may be visiting sooner than june 2nd. i really cant wait

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 01:09:57 AM »
Oikodomophobia and Eggy, we love Corfu. To quote Eggy -

Lovely place, nice people, Greek Husband, English wife.

It's the point. We are already part of the Arillas community - Filipos phoned us tonight and is on his way back to England. Will be with us at the weekend and I will be cooking Stifado for him. Anna and family are already part of our life (you wait darling!!!) Still waiting to meet Dimitris Litsa and bebis. Hello to Kostas, Hannah, Angela, Giannis, Litsa, Spiros, Yannis ..... We love you all. It is the people. To misquote Terry there are no strangers, only friends yet to meet. 

Glenny, we agree about Sidari - we hate dodging people and cars, and avoid it at all costs. But we ain't the only people there as Eggy said. There are other places and they could easily have floated more than one boat. I might have "died and gone to heaven" as I said to Lorna (the rep...) in our first year in Arillas, but am waiting to see Roda, Acharavi, Paelokastritsa and now Kavadaddes etc etc.

Corfu needs more tourists - we're only a tiny fraction of that.

Will shut up now (thank god said riggers and Sandy... must be the Spanish brandy)
lol
phil

Booking.com