Author Topic: pop-ups.  (Read 10257 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: pop-ups.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
Like EEG, I always use Firefox, and I never have any popup problems. I think that Firefox is much better than Internet Explorer, and you also get less problems with spyware and malware.

Some of the popups can occur when viewing photographs on the forum because these are are stored on hosting web sites.

Along with the software that Kes has suggested run the following on a regular basis ...

Spybot - Search and Destroy from .... http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

Ccleaner from ..... http://www.ccleaner.com/ this will clean out any "debris" from the Computer registry (some of which can be hiding spyware, trojans etc.)

Whatsrunning from ......  http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/download.aspx - this will show all programs and processes that are running on your PC. It also shows all of the programs that load when you switch the PC on and some of these are unnecessary and can be disabled.

If your PC is slow to startup or to shutdown it is almost certain that you have spyware or unwanted programs loading when you switch on

Use F-Secure as your anti-virus software as it also blocks spyware, malware and spam. You have to pay for this, but is much better than Norton or Mcafee and uses far less of your computers resources.

Run at least three anti-spyware programs each week because you will find that some will find spyware that the others can miss.

Backup the data on your PC on a regular basis. You can get a 250 Gb external hard drives for about £50, these days.

Offline Paul & Denise

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
Wow what a mind of information you clever members are! Pop ups now gone - So how about a winter master class for us computer challenged members? Learning how to post pictures, web links and much more onto this site would be great, pass away a few hours as well during these cold wet nights. Love reading all the post but would also like to take a more active part. Anyone out there to take up the challenge?

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
I have Firefox and AVG... not that I know anything about it... my son and Mike are the ones who sort out the gremlins for me.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »
Hi Kes!
I am very pleased with my Apple Mac being a 'purpose built' unit rather than an assembly of sub units like most P.C's. I have bought a large lcd monitor(not Apple) and an Acoustic Lab sound system. All my photo scanners and peripherals from my P.C. work as 'plug and play' as does my Brother 'all in one' fax,printer copier and my cameras. There seems to be a driver built into the OSX software which simply and magically 'deals with it'.
Over the years of having a P.C. run by Windows it would appear to me that most faults originate in the operating system and I have never found a version of Microsoft's best that doesn't have some unresolved problem. The Apple software is much easier to use for all the 'normal' uses even for someone like me, as its so logical!
I would disagree with the cost aspect, when you consider what you are getting included in the OSX 'package'. I use Google and Firefox the same as I always have but the 'firewall' is built in and is almost 100% virus and hacker proof with nothing else needed! This means that the computer is very fast and extremely easy to use and maintain. You don't have to buy new either, the second hand prices are very good.
I am a convert now I have used it for a while, my son also gets off lightly too as I'm not bothering him with my computer problems any more!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
Below is a list of fake anti spyware programmes that offer to rid your machine of all unwanted intrusions..
BEWARE do not use any of the programmes listed below.they will either add spyware or ask you to pay to remove it..

If you have any of these installed  you may have problems uninstalling them

AntiVirus Gold
AV System Care
ContraVirus
errorsafe (AKA system doctor)
MalwareAlarm
Malware
MagicAntiSpy
PAL Spyware Remover
PCSecuresystem
Pest Trap
PSGuard
SecurePCcleaner
SpyAxe
SpywareStrike
 Spyware Quake
Spydawn
Spylocked
SpyShredder
SysProtect
Spy Ranger
Spy Sheriff
Spy Wiper
Registrycleanerxp.com
UltimateCleaner
WinAntiVirus Pro 2006
WinFixer
WorldAntiSpy
Your Privacy Guard

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Agree with all you say Martin..its like buying a ferrari or a Ford....most plump for the Ford....!!!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
Kes,
I think the list you have supplied of all the 'fixes' says it all. I must admit it's been quite an 'eye opener' for me as I am by no means a computer expert. I arrived at Apple more by luck than judgment, certainly wouldn't go back now!
All the best,
Martin. 

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »
The problem with Apple Mac computers is their incompatibility with "business" and "school applications. You can get the best of best worlds with a new Mac (cost about £1000) and then use VM ( Virtual Machine) software to run XP or Vista. There is also the lack of "Free" software for the Mac.

Most people need office type programs ie Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc to exchange information and you require a Windows PC to do this cheaply.

I will help anyone with PC problems, if I can, just PM me.

Maybe we can extend the "Website technical problems & questions" section to include a general "PC help" area.

Offline Paul & Denise

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 12:56:34 AM »
yes please Terry sounds like a great idea for us not so brights!!

Maggie

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I've cleaned my pc, but time will tell!!!!!
 Once again, I'm not blaming this site for the problem, but I knew if I asked here, I would get help. Thank you all.(The blocker is on, and as I eventually discovered, always has been).

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
another good spyware program [free] is lavasofts adaware se free for home users,i recently used it on a friends pc and it found 457 spyware programmes that windows defender wouldnt find.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/select_your_product.php

Booking.com