Author Topic: Mosquito Nets  (Read 12155 times)

Offline Wendy n Stu

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Mosquito Nets
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »
I have been bitten really badly over the years and now I use a variety of remedies, all recommended by one or another.  I am not sure which bit does the trick but overall it saves me.  I always use Avon Skin-so-Soft (Fresh) Shower Gel and spray the Dry Body Oil on after the shower.  Then before we leave the room we put Autan Lotion on exposed parts!  We never have the lights on and the doors/windows open after dark.  We shut the doors/windows and spray the room.  We also have the liquid plug in the room.  I know it all sounds a bit extreme but it really does work and since doing it we have had a bite free holiday.  One year I failed and did get bitten and I used anti-histamines (sorry don't know how to spell it) to reduce the swelling on the bite.  That worked too.  Bet you think I am mad!!!!!!!!!!!  W : o )

riggers

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 01:20:28 AM »
Wendy and Stu.
We echo what you do near enough, it must be a Derbyshire thing!!But also use Jungle Formula.

Riggers...

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 01:21:42 AM »
No I think you are really sensible.  I forgot about SSS too.  I bought it online from someone last year really cheaper than Avon lady. Mike swears by it and he hardly gets bitten. I will try and find it (not a well known auction site).

I got badly bitten in Arillas the year before last by sand flies on the beach.. so I am careful now.

It is a pain though doing all the preparation before going out.  Its like an army maneuver getting ready without the face painting.

and  GERMALENE.. Brilliant for everything, I never go anywhere without it and it really helps the healing process.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »
Yep me and Wendy are the same!!

After im showered i then get dressed, parts that are exposed get drenched in jungle formula from Boots, i also have afterbite in my bag for when im out in case one does get through the haze haha, that really helps if you put that on straight away.

I also take the spray out with me and spray a bit round my ankles whilst im out, for some reason this is where i get bit the most, as previously said its always in the restaurants early evening that they seem to get me!

Then before we leave the room we switch the plug in on, shutters are shut then Brett goes out the front and i spray round the rooms with mozzie killer like a mad woman haha!!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
Bg, my mum swears by germolene. I even sent some to my son in Afghanland.
Lindypops.

Offline Rob & Stu

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
One of the best ways to keep mozzies away is to get some vitamin B (must be Vit B on it's own tho') apparently made of yeast and mozzies hate it!!! you need to take them regularly for a few weeks before you go and continue them whilst on holiday but it does work and it's herbal so it won't hurt you

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »
We did that last year as it was recommended and totally agree with you it did help. I must remember for this year.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
I do all above as well.  If i dont, like everybody else, i get bitten, if you have suffered with bites I think its worth the extra 10 mins preparation!  x

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
Jungle Formula definately works the best for us! - can get it at Alex's now as well!
Then plug in the mozzie machines before you go out and leave them on all night.

Offline holliepos

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »
Testing out a theory here.

I think you get bitten more if you taste good! For example, my hubby is a diabetic and so has high sugar levels in his blood at times, and he gets bitten to death. My daughter is a chocaholic - also bitten to death. I'm neither - don't have a sweet tooth at all - and don't get bitten at all.

What do you think?

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you but Pete is a diabetic and is not very  carefull about what he eat'sl on holiday ( so if you see him weaving along the road he might not be drunk) and still dosn't get bitten at all. Mind you i have found that the more honey or Galaktoboureko that I eat the more I get bitten. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline holliepos

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
Bother! (- ' had that theory for years!)

I'll have to think of another one now to bore people with after a few metaxas.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 01:31:15 AM »
I`ve been bitten in several countries. Got the scars to prove it. Fed up with being bitten.
Lindypops.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
Lindypops, so is Jen. Fed up ain't the word.

The mozzies kept us away from Arillas for four years after Jen had 17 enormous bites lanced and still has the scars.

They never go near me. After eight weeks total there I've never had one bite. I must taste awful!

Our solution now isn't nets - they don't get her at night. It is early evening as sun goes down, sitting in tavernas eating and drinking when she gets eaten herself. So now she wears pop-sox, having covered her lower legs in Jungle strength, and clothes which cover her legs and ankles. On that deal we have spent three weeks - and no bites. Only when she left the pop-sox off to go to the airport home did she get one.

That Boots Jungle strength is good, but maybe I fuss too much - she says I put too much on... white powder still there three weeks later! But seems to work.

best wishes
phil

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »
I even tried fly spray before going out, and got bitten.
Lindypops.

Booking.com