Author Topic: A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu  (Read 1666297 times)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Re: A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu
« Reply #2310 on: February 16, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »
I absolutely love that photo Patrick!
It really sums up Corfu old town for me and could have been taken over a hundred years ago

Thank You

Suzy x

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #2311 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind comment Suzy61.  I think you are right about the timeless quality.  However although Corfu has changed somewhat since my first visit in 1970 it has not lost that ancient charm which is a combination of buildings, nature and people.  I suppose the most startling sign of changing times is the amount of traffic, which every time I arrive and set off for Arillas seems to get faster despite there being more of it.
Perhaps I should try to dig out another of my old slides from that first visit - I just wonder what happened to that 47 years which seems to have passed in the blink of an eye!
Regards
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #2312 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
Have dug out another of my Agfacolor slides from our visit in September 1970.  This one is of the PALACE of St Michael & St George in Corfu Town.

Palace of St. Michael and St. George is a palace in Corfu City on the island of Corfu, Greece. The Greek name is "Palaia Anaktora". The palace was built by Sir Thomas Maitland, the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands. It served as the High Commissioner's residence, but was also the home of the Ionian Senate and the Order of St Michael and St George. The foundation stone was laid on St. George's day in 1819. The location is between the old town of Corfu and the Venetian citadel.

Corfu Palace of St Michael & St George

by pj's memories, on Flickr

Best wishes
Pat

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2313 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
HI ALL

Q FOR QUITE AMAZING

The Monastery of the Holy Trinity or Agia Triada - Meteora

The six surviving monasteries are all on tall pinnacles with sheer faces. The only access in the past was to climb rope ladders or to be hoisted in a rope net.

Now there is a steep stairway descending the side of the top plateau, a narrow stone bridge across the chasm, and a series of paths and stairways up the face of the monastery's pillar.

A set of steel cables crosses the chasm, carrying a small cable car used by visiting priests who want to use this relatively traditional means of arrival.
they use the cable car to get to other monasteries
for your eyes only was filmed here

i do recommend if you get a chance then go
the orthodox priest was borrowed image the top one is mine

kevin

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2314 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
R.... is for "R" unknown plant.
Cheating slightly but this one for Kevin. (I am sure someone will find a "Proper RRR"
Kevin-Not sure if this is the pic I already posted??

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2315 on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »

HI NEIL

Yes you have already posted this i have sent the photo and description to go botany i am hoping For experienced botanists! can come back to me

kevin

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2316 on: February 19, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »

HI ALL

R FOR RANDOM
A LOVELY PLACE STOUPA

KEVIN

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2317 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
S is for another Sunset but I never tire of it.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2318 on: February 20, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Thanks Sonia.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2319 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »

HI ALL

I know this is not in Arillas but it is history

Pelion railway is a 600 mm narrow gauge railway line of Thessaly Railways in Greece, connecting the city of Volos with the town of Mileai on Pelion.

PELION TRAIN

The history and myths of Pelion on a magical journey
10 o'clock in Ano Lechonia station. Pelion train whistles giving the signal of an unforgettable journey. The ascent to the beautiful slopes of Pelion towards Milies begins! One of the tightest tracks in the world (60 centimeters) hosts "Moutzouris" (as was once called Pelion train) 4 wagons, to indicate the steam and smoke that left in its wake..From Ano Lechonia till Milies route is mountainous, crossing the green slopes with dense vegetation of trees and bushes. The only stop for the train is just for 15 minutes in Ano Gatzea. Then continues "blowing" and rocking its wagons, for a route of 15 km, in about 90 minutes. Up to the historic village of Milies, the path is filled with rich images of nature and architecture with old but elaborate structures of carved marble and gray limestone that shaped arched bridges, arches and tunnels openings. A unique sample is the five-arched stone bridge known as "Kalorema", in Malaki area. Approaching Milies the landscape acquires a wild beauty, especially over the large metal bridge of Taxiarchi or De Chirico, the name of the designer and father of the great painter. At this point, the train will roll in a curve line, while the bridge is straight. Milies Station is the terminus of the route. From here the picturesque cobbled road leading to the center of the village begins. Traditional hostels, taverns, the church of the Archangels (built before 1741), the folklore museum and library (one of the oldest in Greece), await visitors for a tour. The most scenic railway line in Greece returns in Ano Lechonia at 3 o' clock in the afternoon.

Access Ano Lechonia - Milies
Train operates from spring to autumn, with a specific release schedule, with 1 daily route on the mountainous path. Total time route is 1 hour and 30 minutes (with 15 minutes break for stretching, coffee, tsipouro and refreshments in the picturesque station of Ano Gatzea). Access to Ano Lechonia railway station (which is 12 km from Volos), is from the road to Kala Nera by bus line Volos- Lechonia - Platanidia and stops 50 meters from the station. One can also get there by car and as there is ample parking space in front of the station. There are brown road signs to the station from the adjacent road. The access road to Milies station is only by car and there is limited parking at the station. For the record...
The historic train that once covered the route Volos - Milies, flowed onto the also historic railway whose construction began in 1892 (the first part was up to Lechonia and finally finished in 1896). The remaining part till Milies was constructed later on and operated in 1903. Evaristo de Chirico, father of the famous painter Giorgio de Chirico(who was born in Volos), oversaw the construction of the railway network,. During the construction progress young De Chirico was there, observing the vehicle that later inspired and steadily accompanied his creations.

this photo from the internet shows the bend
kevin

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2320 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »

HI THE LAST POST OF MINE T FOR TRAIN SORRY

KEVIN

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #2321 on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
10th September 2011 - North Beach, Arillas - UMBRELLA

Corfu - PJ on the Arillas north beach with brolly
by pj's memories, on Flickr

Best wishes
Pat

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2322 on: February 20, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
a T and a U .........  Trunks and umbrella !  :-)
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline patrickjohn

• ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #2323 on: February 20, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
Hey Truth - I wish I'd thought of that one!

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2324 on: February 20, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Sonia...that sunset photo has to be the best one I've ever seen, and there's been many amazing ones. It really is absolutely beautiful. It makes me feel happy, content and relaxed just looking at it.
Thank you and thanks to everyone for all the lovely photos.

Suzy x

Booking.com