Author Topic: Beach Traders  (Read 10534 times)

Offline Mick and Jill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Beach Traders
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
I bought a little diamond puzzle ring from the original jewellers in San Stephanos a couple of years ago.  Now I have to admit I have bought quite a bit from him over the years not just for me but for my Daughter.  When I was there last year I happened to mention that a stone had fell out, he immediatly told me to leave it with him and he would get it repaired in Corfu town.

Sorry going to go off track here but:

Corfu Town is another issue, had a horrible experience with one of the jewellers there in the tourist end.  Saw a diamond ring I loved and as it was our 25th wedding anniversary Mick bought me it.  They reduced the price for us and were so nice, they even cleaned all my other rings, offered us drinks etc.  They told me to get it valued in England and let them know the valuation the next time we went over as they had given me such a bargain.  Well I did exactly that, my God could have hit the floor when I had it valued and not for a good reason.. The value was about half what I paid for it and it wasn't cheap could have had 3 holidays to Arillas for the price Mick paid.   I did as they said and returned the following season they were all smiles when I went into the shop but an hour later they were so hostile.  I had taken all the valuation paperwork etc with me from England and they said I must have taken it to a back street jewellers for the valuation.  Don't get me wrong I love the ring but I will never spend that much money abroad again.
Jill XXX

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:15 PM »
Hey Eggy, you couldn`t give me a backy on that!lol.
Lindypops.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »
Lindy P.
I'll look that word up and then come back to you.
Negg

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 10:59:46 PM »
Lol. Kes might know!
Lindypops.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 12:17:49 AM »
I am still giggling.... very funny!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »
Sally and I have found that you can buy everything you need as a holidaymaker in Arillas.In the past we have bought a lot of stuff in Corfu Town only to find it cheaper back in Arillas,so apart from very expensive items eg my swatch which we get in Town or some olive wood stuff from our friends shop,everthing is bought in the shops of Arillas.I have know people hire a car just to get to Sadari to buy cheaper booze,but at the end of the day as consumers its upto the indeviduals as to where the shop,but at least whith a shop if something goes wrong you can always take it back
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »
Theres a new shop that sells booze in Arillas.  Seems to be much cheaper than anywhere else.. It just had wooden racks of the stuff, just past the Kebab place on the right.  Also opposite Monas boutique the little supermarket does some cheap booze too.  And did you know that the Taverna next to Monas does ouzo for 1 euro a shot...  we know someone who spent all afternoon there drinking ouzo watching the world go by... and you know who you are dont you ;)
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Joyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
I think it is important to support the local traders - although it is a difficult one when a beach trader is selling something that is not available in the shops.

I do most of my shopping in Arillas (although I have been to San Steph just to go to the shop that sells the glass jewellery - which is now available in Arillas!) - the people of Arillas are just so friendly and helpful - I would rather pay a little more if I had to than go elsewhere.

On numerous occasions Sandy and I have shopped in Yiota's shop - sometimes for people at home - Yiota always tells us to take the item (s) with us and if they are no good just bring them back on our next visit - no question of us giving her money upfront.  Sandy and I were also bridesmaids at wedding which took place in Corfu last October and we were delighted to be able to get our dresses from Mona and our shoes and jewellery from  Yiota - it sort of felt "right" to be able to get our stuff from the local traders.  The only other place I really tend to buy things is in Acharavi at the shop owned by Ina's sister in law, Nikki, who used to work at Ina's shop a few years ago.  Nikki and I have become really good friends and I do like to buy stuff from her just to give her a bit of support too.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 03:01:49 PM »
One place i will recommend for something different is Perdetas in San Stefanos the glassware jewellery is ever so good Sally has a few pieces now.I agree shop local where you can,as i said before you do save money as well.This shop selling bronzes sounds interesting.Sally likes Sea Shells as well(the shop)and we do use Inas on the front a lot,we liked her place that was next door to Wok House and Alexs is another.Billys is good for Greek Beans,you just have to cook them.Oh i could go on.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »
Harold,

Its so strange that you have written the post about Perditas in San Stefanos, today.

When I got home last night a package had arrived from Perditas with some items that were too large for us to take back on the plane. We wanted a couple of the "lamps" that made from the old roof tiles, and its was so nice to unpack them and think that I was holding something that was from the Arillas area that  was over 100 years old.

The Lamps were made by Kostas, who is Perditas husband, Perdita and Claudia who is   Perditas sister. The tiles were from a house that had been a family home for Kostas for many years. The tiles were made by people who formed  the wet clay over their thighs, hence giving a unique concave tapered shape.

We also bought a mirror and some hanging  fish, a sun and some glass lemons. All we need now is some nice weather at home to appreciate them in the garden. We feel that the items were really good value, and it was nice to know that we had met the people who had actually made them.

They have a web site at www.perditasglassart.com

Terry

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
Joyce and I love Perdita's and are going to treat ourselves to a mirror or some lamps when our house is ready.....Irini has a few pieces in her little shop if pople want to look before walking over the hill to San Stef.
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »

For anyone who has not visited Perdita's here is her website:

http://www.lichtquellen.com/en/index.html

Eileenxx

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
It sounds like a place I`d love to visit, thanks for all the info. Any idea on prices etc?
Lindypops.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 03:56:34 PM »
Not cheap....but worth it to have something different. She does fantastic pendants and earrings that reflect in the sun.
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Each wall lamp is different, therefore depending on the amount of glass work involved the electric wall lights made from old roof tiles range from 65 euros upwards.

Free standing candle lamps made from old roof tiles are around 50 euros

Stained glass mobiles start at around 12-15 euros.

Eileenx

Booking.com