Author Topic: We're Back from Arillas!  (Read 7206 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
We're Back from Arillas!
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »
Arrived back today!  Had a great time... lovely and relaxing, ate too much food!  Lynda and I got a good suntan but not as good as Lisa's!

We had a brilliant time with all the Galini Gang and had a dance at the Latin night on Saturday with them all at the Horizon.  So much to say and report on but might be able to add a bit more at a later date.

We did actually walk to Afionas and the views were terrific.  Had breakfast at the Porto Timoni which is new right at the top of the village.  Breathtaking!  Much easier walking back than going though but we were so glad we did it this time.

Sue x
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justlynn

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: We're Back from Arillas!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
Welcome back, Sue, and so glad to hear you had a good holiday.  Looking forward to further reports!!
lynn :D

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:37:26 AM »
Welcome back.  Glad you had a lovely holiday and look forward to reading your report!  We saw you and Lynda on the picture of the day!!  Looked like you were having fun ;)

At least the weather here is picking up.

Shuey

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
Glad you all enjoyed yourselves, looking forward to hearing more. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »
Welcome back! Good to hear that you had an excellent time and I am looking forward to your report :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:28:12 AM »
Welcome back, Sue!  It's gone so fast but at least you missed a lot of really terrible weather.  Looking forward to hearing more once you've got some washing done!
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:42:10 AM »
Welcome back Sue, good to hear you all enjoyed yourselves!

Look forward to further reports, we want all the goss ;-) !!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
I cant think of everything that happened to us, but we did have a lot of laughs, well they were funny at the time!

The photo of the day Dimitris took was a laugh, a tad embarassing but great fun.  We are waiting for the donkey Dimitris promised!  Keep your eyes peeled for that one.

It was lovely to see everyone there.  Some people we met from last year at the Galini and  those who remembered us particuarly Mike and Angela at the Captains.  As you walked around you kept bumping into the same ones, its like living in your own little village. everyone was so friendly.

We had some fabulous meals. Obviously the stuffed pork roll at the Brouklis was delicious.  Lynda had the biggest plate of sardines ever!  Breakfast at the captains was definately up to its usual standard and their Sofrito was gorgeous.  The Vasilas was brilliant value but I think our favourite was Kostas on the beach too.  Mike loves salad so his was the Chefs salad, which he had as a starter but any normal person would have it as a main course LOL... but he also had lamb in honey, I had Kleftiko (without the bone), another time I had chicken stuffed with olves and feta, must try that at home.  We loved the Prawn Saganaki at the Thalassa.  No sooner had you finished your meal you were trying to decide where to go for your next one...  Our holiday seemed to revolve around sunbathing and eating!  we would say we cant eat another thing and would take it easy the next day but we never did!

We did walk to San Stefanos one day, they have a nice little seat at the top now to take in the views, we walked down to the bay and had breakfast on the beach then did the trek back.  they do have some nice gift shops there though. 

Afionas was another day walking and an elderly greek lady passed on us the way up, she was ladened with a large bag of something on her head, a huge sheaf of herbs etc. and another carrier bag.  She knew how to pace herself up the vertical hill  and still was ahead of us, she had obviously done it many times.  Amazing!  It is well worth a walk if you can manage it.  We kept picking out the houses we would like to live in as we went by.  Each view was better than the last, sitting on the seat at the top of Afionas,  being blown about by the wind was exhilarating with fabulous views of San George and Arillas below.

All in all in was a lovely holiday and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  We will definately go back again at some stage when we can fit it in, especially at the Bardis Sun Studios.  The Bardis Sun Hotel was practically empty.. only had about 6 people there during the whole 2 weeks, definately overpriced.

If anyone likes Latin dancing then the Horizon is the place to be.  We thought it would be Flamenco but it was all latin dancing.  Then they get you up to have a go.  The showcase dancers were very good to watch and had about 6 changes of clothes to go with each dance too.  We had a couple of great evenings there as Lynda and I love to dance.

It seems to be very quiet in Arillas at the moment, they say it is very slack for tourists, which is nice for us but not so good for those working  and living there.  It might get busier during August though.

Also, the transfers were brilliant there and back.  Coming back we had a whole coach for about 8 of us, including a national geographic film on the tv.  We got off the coach and straight into the queue for the airport, no problems, booked in checked bags through the security and hardly had any time to wait.  We were delayed on the plane though for 45 mins due to some stragglers being late but otherwise no problems at all.  Big queues coming back to Gatwick immigration though due to passports have to be scanned now, but all in all hassle free.

Corfu Escape are faultless, Nancy is terrific and is looking for ways to improve the brilliant service she already offers.

Sue x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »
That's a great report Sue.
It even makes even me feel jealous!!!! - Sorry we never bumped into you.
We're glad you had a really good time.
Negg

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »
I think we were sitting at our dinner when you and your friend were dancing, Blondegirl.
 Did you notice marinos wee nephew? He was having a great time too!!! I think he may well end up in showbusiness!

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
Was he the little guy in the green T shirt.  He was so sweet and had all the moves.  We had a great time, the dancers were very good too and its nice to join in with them as it makes for an entertaining evening for everyone.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »
Oh! I Love Arillas...... but I hate being back at work today. Got back home at about 6.00pm last night and I am now at work, in a daze, thinking about where I have been for the last two weeks - Ormofo Meros ( I think it means beautiful place )

I have had two lovely weeks at the Horizon and met lots of wonderful people.

I can also confirm that ( Sue ) Blondegirl is a good dancer. 

This is just a "quickie" and I will add more later in the week, plus posting some photos, one of which is a  photograph of Arillas from the plane on the way home, yesterday.

I just needed to say a big "Efkhareesto" to everyone in Arillas and to members of this forum for helping to give Helen and myself a very memorable holiday.

Terry

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
Glad you had a good time Terry.  I will look forward to seeing your photos.

Offline Mango

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
Hi all

Got back from Arillas on Friday.  I couldn't believe it was raining as we landed in Doncaster.

Anyway we had a great time staying at the Kaloudis. We couldn't believe how quiet the resort was (did you think so Sue?)

We walked over to San Stefanos which was a lovely walk and we also did the Bakery walk but due to having a bad heel I couldn't get any further as I was suffering.  My partner, Stuart, walked up to Afionis and back over to San Stefanos a second time to a crystal shop to buy some crystals and healing stones for my eight year old daughter as the first time we walked over the shop was shut even though it said it would open at 1:30pm it never did.  When my partner spoke to the shop keeper she said it wasn't worth opening everyday as she just wasn't busy.  She also said she had never known San Stefenos be so quiet.

We had a few great meals at Brouklis and on our first night at the Brouklis the men in our group wore "loud" shirts. I was introduced to Dimitris for the first time and he wanted to take a photo of the shirts for picture of the day.  Unfortunately we never made it, but my partner won the competition.  So if anyone was out that night and saw three guys "clashing" my partner was the one with the Cerise Hawiian shirt!!!

Other than that all we did was sunbathe, drink, eat, sleep, sunbathe, drink ...etc etc.

Catch you later.

Amanda

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
Hi Terry and Amanda, glad you both had fab holidays!!

Looking forward to hearing all you have to say, piccies too, we're spoilt on here, cant wait!!

Booking.com