Author Topic: Traditional Kafenions  (Read 7966 times)

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Traditional Kafenions
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
I totally agree with you Terry.  Its as if they haven't got a care in the world and nothing seems to phase them.

As you drive through these quaint little villages it is just llike time has stood still.  I often think that they must get fed up with the tourists driving through their villages but we always either smile or wave and they acknowledge you back.  The village i am referring to is the one after San Stefanos going through the olive groves and on to Sidari.  It is quite a narrow road with the old folk sitting on their chairs on the side of the road.

All the families seem very close, from the toddlers right through to the grandparents.

Oh how different the life is over there.

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »
Are women welcome in the traditional kafeneon? They appear to be strictly for the Greek men. A bit like the old Public bars in pubs many years ago.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
Good point. Maybe Eggy and Wendy could test it our for us. If she gets thrown out and he's left there drinking ouzo on his own, we'll know the answer, won't we??!!
Sandy x

Offline BBB

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »
I think I would rather know beforehand as I wouldn't want to "offend" the Greeks. I embrace their culture and wouldn't want them to change. Although now with many more ex-pats there things may be evolving anyway.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »

BBB,

The following does not exactly answer your question if you are referring to Western women...  "are women welcome in the traditional kafenion?", but it does make amusing reading.

Here is a link to a sometimes funny, sometimes factual(?!) list of traditions and hints on what-not-to do when in Greece...if you scroll down the page it refers to Greek women and kafenions (or kafenio)...

http://www.explorecrete.com/mycrete/customs/greek-customs.html

This site also hits upon the subject...

http://grhomeboy.wordpress.com/tag/food-drinks-section/greek-food-culture/

Enjoy,

Eileenx

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
Well done, Eileen, you've done it again!
Just been having a mosey, and they look very interesting websites.
lynn :)

Offline BBB

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »
Thanks for that Eileen. I shall be studying that carefully. Here is another interesting article on the Kafeneion
www.helleniccomserve.com/kafeneia.html

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
Thanks Eileen,

Really enjoyed those links...

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
Every time I pop in the "Fakiolas" it's always been men but Wendy has been in there a few times & made very welcome.She's only been picking up mail or a bit of shopping though. I don't think she's a secret drinker!! About 4 years ago we stayed close to the Village of New Perithia, on the way to Kassiopi. Opposite the Taverna, where we ate, was the local Kafenion. The only woman we ever saw in there was behind the bar.
Times change, even in Corfu, and I'm sure women are now more welcome. It's probably just a case of you partners and wives getting shot of us men for a few hours to give you some piece and quiet.
Negg

Offline Diane x

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
It is so educational on here ! not been on here for some time forgotten what I have been missing.

Diane x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 02:39:59 PM »
Just had a look Eileen and will have so many marked down as favourites soon there wont be room for anything else ;-)

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com