Author Topic: Traditional Kafenions  (Read 7967 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Traditional Kafenions
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
Are there any Traditional Kafenions in the Arillas area?

I have always wished that I could speak fluent Greek and could join in the conversations that take place in the Kafenions. Just imagine all the wonderful stories you could listen to about traditional Greek life, and particularly stories about the war.

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Traditional Kafenions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
Hi Terryw,

That would be a great way to spend an evening.

John

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »
Isn't there a kafenio going out of the village up the hill towards San Stef next door to Mona's boutique? I have to confess I have never been in there but I'm almost sure there is a sign outside and it looks really Greek and traditional.....
Sandy x

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:29:51 AM »
I must admit i didn't know what you were talking about.  Anyway have looked it up and i have seen several of these with the locals sitting outside as we have been driving through the villages in Corfu.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
Hi Sandy, I had forgotten all about that one, but yes I think your right. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
Agree with Viv there Sandy.
Don't often get, even that far, up the hill but, when we spent 3 nights at the Thetis,before moving over to Kavvadades, we walked past there every evening.
It certainly looked and sounded the part then.
The alternative is to hire a car and go to a few villages. Kavvadades has got the "Kafenio Fakiolas" ( Where we collect our mail ) Doubles as a little village shop as well. Owners Nickos & Angeliki are very nice people but speak no English ( But then, why should they?) I'm always made welcome there for a Greek Coffee or Ouzo and quite often find a regular who speaks a bit of English. I sat with Angeliki & the local postman the other morning. His English was good so we did have a 3 way chat, him in the middle as interpreter when I forgot the words.
The other morning she was there, doing her ironing, and still looking after things.
... And why not.?
A little tip from our local postman, in case you don't already know.
If you have a Greek coffee in the morning get a shot of Ouzo put in. Very nice it is too.
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone, I will look forward to a Kafenion Search next week, and when I find one I will ask for a Greek Coffee with a shot of Ouzu.

Only 3 days to go now. I can tell its getting close because the wife is cleaning the whole house from top to bottom and getting me to vacuum lots. How many other females on here go house cleaning mad before a holiday?

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »
A liitle Greek does help.... as like when I ordered a `Glass of beer `and a    ` g & t`

My beer was ok ,but Kath wasn`t to keen on the `Green Tea`///!!!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 12:46:06 AM »
Eggy I've always wanted to stop at that little shop cum kafenion in Kavadades, but I must admit to feeling a bit shy...it almost feels like I'm intruding.  Also it is a tricky place to park the car, but I must try and stop off in September.

Up in Avliotes there are a few kafenions, we don't go into them, but we stop off in Illias grill room some evenings for a bite to eat and to watch all the goings on in the kafenion opposite.

Avliotes is a lively village, in the evening it's positively buzzing for such a small place. 

The boys play football in the playground cum carpark below Ilias, the young girls walk up the street arm in arm trying to catch the boys eyes.  The old ladies stand chatting, the young mums push their babies in buggies,  some are hanging  their washing out on their balconies. 

Local men on their motor bikes and scooters buzz up and down the street,  then just as things quieten for a few minute a tour bus and a lorry will come appear in the narrow street from opposite directions causing mayhem.  Everything comes to a standstill, drinks are abandoned in the kafenion as the men come to watch and to add to the confusion, at the same time a wildly kicked football usually manages to smack itself onto the tarmac..ignored by all.  Inevitably a tourist in their hire car will arrive on the scene and proceed to drive right up behind the lorry or bus, thus preventing any reversing.

After much mayhem, discussion and reversing  the traffic flows again, the men return to their drinks, only for a short while until whole scene is repeated again.

The most chaotic scene we have witnessed was a confrontation between a lorry, a coach and a car pulling a trailer with a boat on it!  This might have been wonderful to watch from Illias but unfortunately for us we were stuck in the queue behind the trailer!!

If you don't feel confident enough to visit a kafenion then I suggest a visit to Illias.  The food is superb and the 'theatre' marvellous! :-)

Eileen.   

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »
Sounds just right for a lazy everning when you want to see the real life goings on. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
Eileen - Is Illias Grill room the one on the right hand side overlooking the car park with the Kafenion just about opposite?
Negg

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
Yes that's the one Negg.

From the car park if you skirt around the back of the church there are steps leading up to Illias...it saves walking the long way up the hill.

It's open in winter too ;-)

Incidently...there is a lovely little childrens play area in the car park, but check out the fence at the back of it...it's broken with is a sheer drop to definite oblivion!

Eileenx

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 12:15:05 PM »
Eileen, you have painted a wonderful picture of everyday life in a Greek village, and I will definitely be going to Illias ( Where is it lol).

Terry

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 12:58:33 PM »
Cor !! - small world innit !!
George, the owner, also works for a Corfu Town Insurance Office. He handles our Buildings Insurance and has recently sorted out Car Insurance for us.
It's nice to do business there over a Beer,Ouzo or Iced Coffee.
( But not all at the same time obviously )
The food comes highly recommended by quite a few Greeks.

Terry - Simple directions from Arilllas are :-
- Go through Agious Stefanos and then just follow the road for about 15 minutes.
You'll know when you get to Avliotes. As Eileen said. Big car park on right.
( About 3/4's of the way throught the Village.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »
Thanks Negg. All this extra information is making me even more excited.

Roll on Monday!!

Terry

Booking.com