Author Topic: Is your passport valid?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Is your passport valid?
« on: July 05, 2023, 11:27:42 AM »
Hi
Just reading about a holiday maker who was refused to fly when checking in the airport as their passport was not valid. This was on May 6th and the expiry date of the passport was September .

They fell foul of the 10 year rule which has been in affect for some time.

The rules are that the passport must be less than 10yrs old from the date of issue  and there must be 3 months of validity left from the date of your planned return home.

The ''over 10 year rule; issue affects passports issued between 2001 and September 2018. Affected passports  will be in still be in circulation until June 2029

Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Is your passport valid?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
Good point / post , Geoff
There are so many of us , who forget these small but important tasks which then bite us in the bum when we least expect it.
Negg

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 09:19:49 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance but if you have been issued a passport in say 2016 how can as you say there is a problem traveling in 2023, again i don't understand  where this 2001 to 2018 thing comes into play a 2016 passport has more than enough time on it. unless i am missing something here.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 08:26:55 AM »
Jackson
You've confused me now.
That's like pointing to two shovels and saying "Take yer Pick"
Negg

Offline jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »
Neil i do  understand that you need to have 6 months on your passport left on departure  or you will be denied travel, it was just the 2001 to 2018 thing which i didn't understand, i have googled it and from what it says is that on newer passports it is strictly a 10 year passport and there is not a 6 months allowance as it has been in the past maybe this is what geoff was saying i don't know. the sage that is geoff will no doubt put me right.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi
Hoping somebody would not ask that question lol. Hopefully this explanation is clear

The over 10 year issue arose because between 2001 and Sept 9th 2018 any period of unused validity could be carried over at renewal, up to a maximum of 9 months
So a passport issued on Sept 9th 2018 could have an expiry date June 2029 (10 yrs. +9months) so anybody using it now could fall foul of the 10 yr. rule.
In fact their passport will expire Sept 2028. 10 yrs from date of issue

Since Sept 10th 2018 passports have only been issued with a maximum of 10yrs for adults, and 5 yrs. for children.

The only exception to this, is travel to Ireland, where a UK passport need only to be unexpired.

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »
Just to muddy the waters more you do not need a UK passport to travel to Ireland - from the UK  you just need photo ID. This is because of the common travel corridor. 

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 03:10:02 PM »
Hi

The best belt and braces advice is to calculate 9yrs and 9 months from the date of issue  as the actual expiry date.

Geoff

Offline jackson

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 10:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Geoff that has cleared that up now

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »
Hi
The press story that told of the pasenger being refused to fly because of the 10 yr rule came about because she put a claim in against TUI saying  that she entered her passport details when booking the holiday, and she felt that TUI should have notified her her passport was not valid.

Geoff

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »
I think I will read this again tomorrow,
Better for me not to go anywhere
Negg

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 10:55:50 AM »
Hi
Maybe a timely reminder.

BBC reports that holiday makers are still falling foul of the 10 yr rule for EU destinations.
Simon Calder (Independent) says that ''easily a couple hundred people a day are being turned away a day'' from their flights

PS
Passport fees are due to increase on April 1st. A standard on line application is expected to be £88.50 (current £82.50)
Under 16's will rise to £57.50 ( current £53.50)

Geoff

Offline jackson

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 12:16:21 PM »
Hi geoff the other day you were on about travel insurance , well i insured ourselves last year with jet2 insurance and thought this year i would try Staysure as they keep sending me e mails, so i went through everything with the young lady and all was fine and i asked her to send me the policy through the post as i like to take such stuff with me in paper form, when i got it yesterday and reading through it it had a paragraph saying that the insurance i had just taken out and payed for was only valid if we had a valid global health insurance carc [GHIC] which replaced the old[EHIC] that surprised me as it was not mentioned during our conversation, anyway i went on the GOV website and applied for us both it was no problem but having to have a GHIC card when taking a private insurance policy out to make it valid surprised me. [If you still have a valid EHIC then thats ok too.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 01:03:30 PM »
Hi
Remember health insurance is not private medical treatment.
GHIC is not a global health insurance card . See below:
www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

The reason they want you to have a  GHIC, I believe, is that  entitles you to free medical care in EU state hospitals ie the same treatment locals get for free so they  would expect  you to use that in the first instance before making a claim.

Geoff

Booking.com