Author Topic: Coronavirus Latest Updates: Greece is opening for tourism by 14th May 2021  (Read 26845 times)

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
You just book a test at a covid test centre. Book it about 3 days before you go and you will have the results in time. The government encourages testing.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
this from the uk gov. web site
If you travel to Greece, you will need to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) at least 24 hours before travel. Failure to do so in advance may result in your carrier not allowing you to travel, a 500 Euro fine on arrival or the Greek authorities not allowing you to enter the country. If you are a permanent resident of Greece, or a Greek citizen, you are also required to complete a PLF form before travelling outside of Greece. See Entry requirements for full details

The Greek government have announced that, from 19 April, arrivals from the UK with proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test, undertaken within the 72 hour period before arrival into Greece, are exempted from the need to self-isolate on arrival to Greece. In addition to this they have announced that UK travellers with proof of two COVID-19 vaccinations completed at least 14 days before travel are also exempt from self-isolation. Until there is means to certify vaccinations for international travel, all travellers should continue to obtain a PCR test as stated above.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi

Transport Secretary, Grant Shap, said today, reported on Sky News, that there will be an App for use as a Covid Passport for travel abroad.

It will not be the App currently used to ‘’check in’’ to venues such as pubs and restaurants for contact tracing purposes.

Government sources clarified it will be the App used to book appointments with the NHS and so on, and  will allow Britons to demonstrate whether they have been vaccinated, or tested negative, for the virus before travelling abroad.

You will still need to undergo a Covid test before departure and on return.

Who knows whether things will change, they generally do . There is not a lot of time to have a final decision

Keep safe

Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Folks

It's looking more & more likely that Greece will be happy for us to visit again this Year by whatever means it takes (Be it a PCR test or Covid Passport - Who knows?)

- BUT -

I'm still a little unsure as to what we are expected to do on our return?

As Jill & I are still working we certainly can't afford to isolate for however long is expected and as Greece currently has a greater infection rate than the UK unless this drops I can't imagine us returning home without some form of isolation?

I understand that at present the idea is to fill in a PLF again and also take a PCR test prior to departure but wonder where that will be - Arillas or elsewhere?

I guess at the moment no one knows and rules/regs seem to change from week to week.

Fingers crossed by July (& earlier for you early birds) that all is sorted and we can travel safely again?

Thake Care

Neil & Jill

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi

As you say things have change quite a few times with anything related to Covid and can do so again.

First step is to  wait till May 17th and find out what colour band Greece is in Green or Green/Amber. At present returning from a Green country there is no need to isolate. Returning from an an amber country you need to isolate for 10 days

A PCR test is currently required before leaving the UK and on returning, which is taken in the UK.

A PLF is required prior to departure and on return. https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk. Its best to have a smart phone so you can use the QR code you are sent when you are asked to show your PLF.

With Turkey just gone into its first lockdown due to increasing cases of infection this may cause some concern in Greece and in turn the UK.

Keep safe

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi

Just read in the Mail that for Green countries you will need two covid tests, 1 lateral flow or PCR test  no longer than 72hrs before you return to Britain, and a PCR test on the second day you are back.

For Amber countries you self isolate on return for 10 days and have 3 covid tests. A lateral flow  test or PCR no longer than 72 hrs before leaving for Britain.
A further two PCR tests on the 2nd and 8th days once you are you back. You can pay for a an additional test on day 5 of isolation cutting isolation time if negative. You still have to test on day 8.

All tests will have to be paid for privately

Further reported that many countries need a test before leaving the UK  but  Greece became the first European country to announce that vaccinated Britons will not require any tests to enter.
Portugal ,Spain and France have also indicated they will follow suit

Geoff

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Nothing has actually been officially finalised.

What the papers are reporting as fact (or readers are interpreting as facts), is pure speculation at this stage.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi Angiam

There was no intention to imply the story was fact, or fiction. As I said it was reported in the press today. It was a news report I thought worthy of sharing.

Is there anybody who 100% believes every  press report? Many people view an editorial and then look for an any official confirmation.

Take care

Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi

Use this link to get daily updates for any country you wish to travel to
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
you are correct on getting a test from Boots its £99 each here is the link
https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing/covid-19-testing-service

Hi Harold

As I understand it you have to use a goverment approved testing facility and Boots are not currently part of the government test to release scheme. Their tests are only for use for outbound flights if the destination requires them.

I also understand that on the return PLF you have to enter the booking reference code for the tests you have pre  booked as proof of your booking. Hopefully this requirement for a test to release will be dropped, or made a lot cheaper, as it will be quite an expence, particularly for families

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
Sorry but having had covid  I know how easy it is to book a government test at a testing centre.  Why would anyone pay £100 to Boots or anyone else. As I have said before the government encourages testing for free. Why pay?

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi Sonia

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england#testing-in-quarantine

On this link it tells you what to do when returning to England.

Everyone must:
Take a Covid 19 test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel.
Book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine
Complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package (if you are arriving from a non red-list country) booking reference number.

As you are flying with TUI you are able to book tests in My Booking.

I imagine you can’t use the NHS system due to the many 100's of 1000's of tests they would be inundated with from returning holiday makers. How the private sector will cope is anybody’s guess. Think it could  be chaos

I think that taking a a COVID-19 test  3 days before you travel back home from Greece maybe a problem. I can imagine spending a day of your holiday queueing somewhere along with hundreds of others to get a test. I hope not. Hopefully it will become clearer later.

Hopefully Greece is on the green list and we will not have to isolate for 10 days. Still need the departure test and a PCR test in the UK though.

Hopefully this will all change. Travel companies are lobbying the government to drop this req’ due to our vaccine programme, and fast reducing death and infection rate. The governments fear  is though that we will bring back infections and in particular new variant strains.

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline Donpipez

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Geoff

The Covid test 3 days prior to departure is what I was referring to in my earlier post (Arillas or elsewhere?)

I'm presuming in Arillas it could possibly be Dr Papadopoulos or the new Chemist but if not then we'd have to travel elsewhere & as you say spend a full day doing so!!??

Presently it all seems to make travelling so difficult (& expensive!!) but I guess it's all for the right reasons.

Last Year Jill & I were among the lucky ones to get to Arillas but at that time the UK was in a worse situation & we were more worried about bringing the virus to Arillas.

This Year it seems that it the other way round and I must admit I'd feel awful if the UK had a 3rd wave and it was proven to be caused by returning holidaymakers!!

Guess we'll have to wait & see what is required and weigh up the pros & cons before travelling?

Take Care

Neil & Jill

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi Neil and Jill

In the press today, fact or fiction, I dont know as the government website    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england  is yet to be updated, the day 3 test has changed a little .

You can now take your own lateral flow test kit, which is the same type used by school children, and can be picked up for free at most chemists.

Originally  you had to be tested under supervision before you left,  but no mention of that requirement this time.
Should be clearer on Friday with the government statement.

These lateral flow tests have always been said  to be inaccurate giving false readings.
Dont know what you would do if it shows a positive result  and you are unable  to fly.
Possibly isolation. Where? How much? Who pays?

Apparently there is no change on the PCR tests you have to take in the UK during isolation days 2 and 8

The press mention the PCR tests at the cost of £50 each. Yet to see them anywhere at that price.

If anybody does please pass on the details

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Hi

Just collected a box of 7 lateral flow tests from the local chemist. No charge. Said they have issued a lot today. Said its people going on holiday soon (hopefully) and getting prepared

Geoff

Booking.com