Author Topic: Can anybody confirm  (Read 14991 times)

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Can anybody confirm
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
This all a minefield!! - Some local Hotels , here , have not bothered to open.  I was told that their Tour ops tried to "re-negotiate" contracts. Or as a Greek owner said on facebook here , try and force him to take less money. - Not worth thier while so stayed closed. - This is as I understood it.
So , Tour Ops , already having the cash and booked Tourists, at where they wanted to be, had to offer alternative accomadation. - Many just took a refund.
But...As Geoff has said. These companies have had a nice little earner in respect of interest!
Negg

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
Hi
In repect of cancelled flights and no alternatives being offered. This is what I think.

They released 2022 flights in March this year, people such as myself  booked early not knowing what flights would availabe  for 2022, but assuming less. We booked for September.

They did release in the press that 2022 flights bookings looked very encouraging and that confidence was high amongst customers. They obviously took a lot of revenue when they were desperate for it.

After having had ''interest free loans'' from customers, they have now started revising the 2022 schedules to a more realistic levels in light of anticipated reduced demands, and their own reduction in staff and planes, and  therefore making the cancellations.

Just hope they dont cancel flights at short notice during next year and offer no alternatives.

Jet2 were not the only company to release 2022 flights early of course. Proberly for the same reason as Jet2.

Geoff

Typo error. 2022 should read 2021

Eggy's comments about contracts was  common occurance in Skiathos. TUI was the worst culprit.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »
Hi
Getting reports from friends from Skiathos that both TUI and Jet2 Are cancelling sept 2021 package holidays And flights. No alternatives being offered.
This year was the first Jet2 went to Skiathos

Geoff 
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Just had a thought, Do we need new passports after January 1st because of new EU rules. ?

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 02:49:50 PM »
Just had a thought, Do we need new passports after January 1st because of new EU rules. ?

Hi currently the situation is no. Carry on using your current EU passport until it expires. You will then get the new blue British passport. Make sure you have at least 6 months before your passport expires.

Some things may change very quickly.

Curently the EHIC card will still be accepted within the EU and  we will continue to offer reciprocal arrangements with vistors from the EU.The EU may get start getting funmny about it later but currently they have agreed to accept it providing we offer the reciprocal arrangements
It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not.

Driving
You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021.

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.

Pets
From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. Instead you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months.
So apply to your vet early

Border control:

You may have to show a return or onward ticket
Show you have enough money for your stay
Use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing

Mobile roaming:
free roaming may end. Although various providers say they will continue as present
From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.

You can always use WhatsAp and make free calls

If your travel company goes out of business

You’re protected if you buy a package holiday and the company goes out of business. You get this cover even if it’s an EU company, as long as the company targets UK customers.

Otherwise, you can claim compensation if you used your credit card. You’ll continue to be able to claim for payments between £100 and £30,000.

Entering other countries
Visas for short trips:
If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

You can sign up at https://www.gov.uk/email-signup?topic=%2Ftransition for e mails to keep you up to date on changes

Geoff

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
Thanks Geoff.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:27 PM »
Hi

Todays e mail from the UK Goverment via the link previously given for updates on the transistion period   is Living in Greece.
Includes official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Greece, including guidence on residency , passports, healthcare, driving and the Withdrawal Bill.

Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »

Hi
Just had the latest Government update on passorts after Jan 2021 via the link previously given.You can check the validity of your passort after that date applicable to the country you are to visit.

Mine currently expires in June 2023 and is now only valid till July 2022 for Greece.

Geoff

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »
Hi

Use this link to checik your own passport

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe-1-january-2021

Geoff

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »

Hi
Just had the latest Government update on passorts after Jan 2021 via the link previously given.You can check the validity of your passort after that date applicable to the country you are to visit.

Mine currently expires in June 2023 and is now only valid till July 2022 for Greece.

Bugger that means Petes is only valid until 1st September 2021 and seeing he needs 6 months on it before we leave Arillas in May he needs to renew now. Mine is now valid until 23ed July 2022 instead of 2023. so glad you gave us the nod. Thanks

Geoff

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »
Hi
Everybody I know who has checked their passport expiry date after Jan 2021 have lost years.

Geoff

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
Just checked my passport and i have lost 1 year, and my sons passport has also lost 1 year, it seems like all passports are being required to be renewed 1 year earlier for europe

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
Hi

I looked on line about this and  the changes were announced in 1918!!!!

I have never read about this anywhere nor heard about it via any travel programmes etc. Even during the many Parliamentry debates about B ( the word I am not allowed to mention lol) it has never been mentioned.

Vivian's husband  could have had a major problem next year ( see her last post) having had no official media communications on the changes.

Geoff

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:41 PM »
Hi

I looked on line about this and  the changes were announced in 1918!!!!

Geoff

Well at least they gave us plenty of notice then.  :D

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
Hi
Typo
Meant 2018 lol
Geoff

Booking.com