Author Topic: Day Trips by car  (Read 13346 times)

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Day Trips by car
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Where  are your favourite places to visit if you have a car?  We tend to go to the same places and looking for some new ideas please.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Day Trips by car
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Point yer car through Acharavi and then on to Agios Spiridon Beach. (about 10 mins from Acharavi) Then move on to Kassiopi, or drive past it and make a small adventure of all the other beaches from there. You could then do "the route" which takes you to Dassia. Through Dassia , right at the lights and you are on yer way back to Arillas.
Cheers
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »

HI Sonia

I know you like the Durrells have a look

My daughter Nic and Brett and Billy took a car all around the island try lake Konrisson lot of the Durrells was filmed here https://www.whichgreekisland.co.uk/islands/corfu/sights/lake-korission/
Also  visit Danilia Village where The Durrells of Corfu are filmed! https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/where-is-the-durrells-filmed-the-corfu-filming-locations-for-the-lavish-itv-series/

Read this one all about the filming locations
https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/where-is-the-durrells-filmed

kev

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »
Thanks Eggy and Kev. Funnily enough had made a note about Danilla village. 

Offline Sparky

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 06:28:02 PM »
Old Perithia is our favourite. Drive thru Roda and acharavi, then look for signs to the right. A bit of tight road in places but the views on way up and down are terrific.  There is the abandoned village being brought back to life, and interesting places to wander round.  The Foros restaurant is excellent and displays a board with pictures when Rick Stein visited.  Lunch is good.  Can get busy because it is now on the itinerary of the cruise ships, but go any day except Monday and Fridays and is ok.  Very popular with German tour groups.

Chris

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »
Sonia
Keep away from "Danilla Village" like a plague is forming there!! - Go the way that I advise and keep away from those "nasty" little tourist traps!!
Go my way and the worst you will get from that direction is super views and many beaches to see plus Tavernas you may never see around the place that you stay. .... But........ get yer euros out 'cause you are exploring unseen terratories here. - (4e for an ouzo - Bugger off)
but... you are on holiday and only have to do it once!!
Welcome to Arillas ... have you been here before????
and ..that last post about OLD PERITHIA ---- Past Acharavi and well signposted but a real sod to get there and does not give me the same buzz as it did 10 years ago. - Another tourist trap but has very good Tavernas which look after all visitors very well.
For me??? - Nah !! = do yer own thing.
Negg

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
have you been to Agni Sonia thats a lovely little bay and we also loved Avlaki which is also a lovely spot. Watching this thread with interest as we are always looking for new places to visit.  Glad you told me about that Foros taverna Eggie because I was going to go there this year but not sure i'll bother now.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
Head to towards Corfu town and keep going south to Mesongi - once there turn off the main road, head into the resort and follow the road round (which eventually leads to Korissa) and it takes you along the coast, looking out to the mainland. There are some lovely little tavernas, right on the beach (shingle) full of locals and some some jetties to walk out along.  Keep following it and you'll end up in Petris.

Recommend the trip to Old Perithia (go first thing, nice and quiet) and also up Mount Pantokrator (early evening good) if you haven't done those too.  f you haven't got a decent map it's worth investing in a one for finding the routes off the beaten track. The Freytag-Berndt map is very good.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
Thanks everyone. Will certainly try out some of these places. I will keep you posted what we do.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »

Hi Sonia
You need more then two weeks to visit all theses places do try lake  Korission

Kev

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »
Jo.... I think if you are brave enough to take on the roads , and bear in mind they may have improved over the years, then you should not be dissapointed - Very good reviews but just in the wrong location for me.
We were lucky to find Old Peritihia about 12 years ago when it was totally deserted. - How times change!!
Cheers
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »

Hi

We went to old peritihia back in the 80s a Greek night meal there was about Twenty of us
We looked around at the old ruins I might as well looked at Beverly (don’t tell her haha 😂) then to the tavern it was a good afternoon/ evening 

Neil don’t
Kev

Booking.com