Author Topic: Walking around corfu  (Read 367023 times)

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
Re: Walking around corfu
« Reply #555 on: July 04, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »

HI

You may see this plant on the side of the stream that runs though Arillas

Cuckoo pint

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #556 on: July 04, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »

HI

You may see this plant on the side of the stream that runs though Arillas

Cuckoo pint

Sorry pressed the wrong key also R in through

Arum maculatum Has many other common names  Lords and Ladies, Devils and Angels, Adam and Eve, Cuckoo-​pint, Snakes Head,  some of them rather rude Parson in the Pulpit
Most of Europe, south and east of Sweden, including Britain, south to N. Africa.  is a woodland flowering plant species in the family Araceae.
Arum maculatum is a PERENNIAL growing to 0.5 m (1ft 8in).It is hardy to zone (UK) 6 and is not frost tender. It is in flower from April to May, and the seeds ripen from July to August. The species is monoecious (individual flowers are either male or female, but both sexes can be found on the same plant) and is pollinated by Flies.
Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It can grow in full shade (deep woodland) semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It prefers moist soil.
The fruiting spike of Large Cuckoo Pint is long, up to 15cm, and the spadix, when revealed, is pale yellow. The spathe is pale green but sometimes flushed with purple, towards its base, on the outer side.
HABITAT
Woodland Garden Dappled Shade; Shady Edge; not Deep Shade; Hedgerow
The plant is found growing in woods and along shaded ditches and hedgerows on calcareous soil. The plant prefers moist, well-drained and reasonably fertile soils, humus rich soil, and shady damp calcareous soil.
Family:   Araceae
Genus:   Arum
Species:   A. maculatum
Binomial name
Arum maculatum
L.
Synonyms
Arum vernale Salisb.
Arisarum maculatum (L.) Raf.
Arum vulgare Lam.
Arum pyrenaeum Dufour
Arum immaculatum (Rchb.) Rchb.
Arum malyi Schott
Arum zeleborii Schott
Arum trapezuntinum Schott ex Engl.
Arum heldreichii Orph. ex Boiss.
 British Arum. "Pint" is a shortening of the word "pintle", meaning penis, derived from the shape of the spadix. The euphemistic shortening has been traced to Turner in 1551. The plant is propagated by birds dispersing the seeds by eating the berries.[14] As a seedling the plant has small light green leaves that are not glossy like the mature leaves. At about 5 months its leaves grow larger and glossier. At one year old all of the leaves become glossy and die back. The next year the plant flowers during summer.

The attractive berries are extremely poisonous to many animals, including humans, but harmless to birds, which eat them and propagate the seeds
The plant contains calcium oxylate crystals. These cause an extremely unpleasant sensation similar to needles being stuck into the mouth and tongue if they are eaten, but they are easily neutralized by thoroughly drying or cooking the plant or by steeping it in water

The root of the cuckoo-pint, when roasted well, is edible and when ground was once traded under the name of Portland sago. It was used like salep (orchid flour) to make saloop, a drink popular before the introduction of tea or coffee. It was also used as a substitute for arrowroot.

Cuckoo pint has been little used in herbal medicine and is generally not recommended for internal use
The shape of the flowering spadix has a distinct sexual symbolism and the plant did have a reputation as an aphrodisiac, though there is no evidence to support this
 The root is diaphoretic, diuretic, expectorant, strongly purgative and vermifuge. It should be harvested in the autumn or before the leaves are produced in the spring. It can be stored fresh in a cellar in sand for up to a year or can be dried for later use. The plant should be used with caution, see notes above on toxicity. The bruised fresh plant has been applied externally in the treatment of rheumatic pain. A liquid from the boiled bark (of the stem?[K]) has been used in the treatment of diarrhoea. A homeopathic remedy is prepared from the root and leaves. It has been used in the treatment of sore throats

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #557 on: July 11, 2021, 10:03:38 AM »

HI
I heard that you can grow sweet pea in hanging basket. So this year i had a go i used Sweet Pea from wilko Royal Family Mix. A popular and reliable variety producing an abundance of beautiful and long lasting highly-fragrant flowers across a wide range of bright colour shades. Great in the garden or for ideal cutting in bunches. Blooms over an extended season.

I should have used a Sweet Pea Dwarf Bijou Mix A dwarf, busy variety ideal for borders, baskets and containers producing an abundant display of brightly coloured flowers on strong stems with up to 5 high fragrant flowers per stem. Plants are early blooming, heat resistant and require no staking.

here is mine Next year i will use a Dwarf variety

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »

HI
I heard that you can pea in hanging basket. So this year i had a go. I used Pea from wil. Should have a Sweet Pea

here is mine . a Dwarf variety

Good job you didn't post "yours" , Kevin
Calling me a fungi or old fossil - I get yer in the end!!
Stay Well
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »

Hi Neil

Hope to to see soon with Brett Nic Billy

Kev

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #560 on: July 11, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
Not long to go matey!!
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2021, 11:56:18 AM »

Hi

Well this is walking around Arillas. From the Tria down the back road pass the fish tavern taking new pic the forum A-Z photos
Stopped off at Inas for a coffee and orange juice just people watching
Left Ian’s had a walk along the front taking more pics
Then are you Bev and Kev yes it was Jo and other half. Then had a chat
Back at the Tria now Time now is 11.50 temperature climbing high I think a very cold Mythos is in need

After the plums it’s a job no one was offering bananas

Kev

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2021, 02:11:49 PM »
Hi Kev

As you walk around could you see if sunbeds are on the North Beach.?
Cheers

Keep safe
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »

Hi Geoff

What I can see yes lots we haven’t been down that way yet but looking from the jetty a few people  down there

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »
Hi
Good. Hope to be there in September
Keep safe
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »
Yes they are Geoff and Christina is social distancing them nicely

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #566 on: August 06, 2021, 01:14:42 PM »
Yes they are Geoff and Christina is social distancing them nicely

Hi
Thanks. Hopefully we will be there, but the next government review is 10 days before we are scheduled to depart.

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #567 on: August 06, 2021, 06:31:15 PM »
Geoff - What will you do if you cannot bring your own mustard.
(Sausages , Bacon , Ham . Cheese -??? - Keep a grip on your Colmans!!)
EU rules must be followed. Besides,you need to keep these items in the UK as drivers not available to deliver any more to Suermarkets.

Meanwhile..... Kevin has yet to tell me if I snip the tops off my sweetcorn,
Maybe he should snip his top off. It would settle him down and give the Donkeys a day off
eee-aw , eee-aw , eee-ought to behave after a couple of ouzos! - Mounting Goats are the answer!
...Or is it Mountain Goats??
(Anyway, going to Tria tomorrow to get an update from the master)
Cheers
Negg

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #568 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
Hi Eggy

Many years ago, away for a weekend to Dublin, in the early days of increased security checks, I had in my hand luggage my pot of the yellow stuff.

Security removed it , and then looked  at me, as if to say why do I have mustard. They then took it away for testing.
Thankfully I go it back

Keep safe

Geoff

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #569 on: August 07, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »
I bet that was a hot topic at the Airport

Booking.com