The death of Thessaloniki

Started by turkeyfoot, September 24, 2015, 06:46:52 PM

turkeyfoot

Sorry to report the death of Thessaloniki, the mermaid.
She has been ripped from her plinth and smashed onto the rocks, and destroyed  completely.
Like her or hate her its a shame that such an act of vandalism should take place in such a close community.
She will not be returning in the future
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Val n Bill

Geoff, what dreadful news, I hoped she would become the icon of Arillas.....I would like to hope that it was an accident, maybe a lorry or tour bus but as vandalism is present even in beautiful places like Arillas it probably wasn't.

Val x
The love affair continues.

soniaP

How sad. I don't like to think of vandalism in beautiful Arillas😢

Eggy

Surely someone must have seen something? - Maybe "Brouklis" can shed some light on it?
Negg

Jez

harold

who ever did this should be smashed on the rocks themselves,i am furious over this
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Ann K

Like her or not, that was totally uncalled for.  If it was vandalism, I hope they are brought to justice and if it was an accident, I hope someone takes responsibility.

turkeyfoot

Hi
I very much doubt it was an accident. It happened between 24.00 and 0300hrs
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

annemarsh

Quote from: turkeyfoot on September 26, 2015, 01:01:58 PM
It happened between 24.00 and 0300hrs

??

Posts on Facebook suggest 'late morning' and in broad daylight!?

justphil

It hurts me too. So mindless.

Arillas isn't perfection, immune from crime or vandalism and without problems and issues. My God, if it were I would hate it. Nowhere is immune from these things, but Arillas has values that do it for me. Respect. Love of visitors (Filosenia.) Honesty. Integrity.

Underneath the sheen of holiday production, these values are what bring us back year after year.

Rant over - but I am still hurting from the loss of Jean's work.
Phil

Erja

Life is good ;)

soniaP

Not on Facebook Anne. If they know time and in broad daylight then does that mean it was witnessed and they know who did it?

annemarsh

No, I don't think so. It was just that they said they went past it in the morning and it was fine, but by lunchtime it was in pieces.

turkeyfoot

Although I cannot personally confirm it, I have been told that in the same week that Thessaloniki met her demise the bench on the pier was damaged when somebody carved their name onto it
Geoff

jackson

Am i right in saying a toilet has been [as art ] been put in its place if so i find that quite bizzare, as i can see that being used for its original function