what insect repellent do u use?

Started by sue, May 02, 2005, 11:21:08 AM

sue

ive used autan the spray but it chokes me.
just wondered if there was a better one.
thanks suexx

Ivan

8) Interestingly after a few days of Greek food with lots of olive oil and garlic the mozzies don't bother me.
                                           Ivan
      PS I wonder why?????

Lisa and Steve

my husband smothers himself in Bens repellent,I think thats the name.I use nothing and touch wood haven't been eaten alive.There'e always a first time though.

tracey&peter

I always use the Autan roll on - mind you the local stuff from the supermarket is pretty good - also Avon do an aftersun that has an insect repllent in it which is good to use as well as the autan.

tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

carol

Last year in Arillas my brother in law covered himself in the lemon that came with his evening meal,we all thought he'd lost the plot,maybe he had.But he was the only one who came from Arillas without a bite!!cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Samantha

lol i would have though lemon would have attracted them?! Might try that though as I always get bitten loads the first week. I have a tiny bottle of insect repellant call Scram which i got last year of ebay.Thats great for treating bites but can't seem to find anymore.Anyone know where i can buy it? :roll:
Samantha McCoo  :-)

SteveL

Anything with Deet in it does the trick for us. Bought Boots 50% Deet repellent to try this year.
Whatever you use, some Mozzies are bound to get you though !!!

Eileen

Sue,

There are so many products on the market it's mind boggling.

The mosquitos don't bother me much, or at least I should say I don't react to their bite, which is where the problem arises.  Last year my sister-in-law reacted very badly to the  bites which then became infected.  The doctor in Arillas prescribed anti-histamines and said that the allergy would decrease each year...a great excuse to return!

I don't have any favourite repellent, but usually take something containing Deet.  This year for a change I have bought a couple herbal sprays and roll-ons for my family and the Avon aftersun with repellent in it.  I've also bought Mosi-Bands from Morrisons, they are stretchy bands for wrist or ankles (not too sure about that unless under trousers!) containing 30% Deet/3.5% Citronella and last for 14 days if worn for 7hrs at a time. They have been recommended by friends, who say they have also seen them fastened to baby buggys.  I'm going to fasten them to my grandsons buggy as even although the instructions say they are safe for children over 6 mths I would never dream of putting Deet on a young child.

Happy mozzie and bite free holidays to everyone.

Eileenx
Your holiday deserves a place like this...
www.villalinakis.com

https://twitter.com/VillaLinakis

Villa Linakis on FB

Maggie

I always use autan spray, and I find that it's the best stuff for me. However, I always take garlic tablets before and during my trip, which are supposed to deter mozzies, so I;m not sure which is actually the one that works! :?  I havent had so many bites in the last few years, so maybe Eileens right, and you become more immune in time? 8) maggie :wink:

SteveL

On a lighter note - mozzies are supposed to be attracted to sexually active people !!!
So you know what NOT to do to help avoid getting bitten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, you might just have to put up with the bites  :lol:  :lol:

Ivan

:lol: So no sniggering and pointing if you see anyone with lots of bites!!!!!!!
                       Ivan

Pete E

Quote from: Steve & ValOn a lighter note - mozzies are supposed to be attracted to sexually active people !!!

That's an interesting phrase isn't it - sexually active. Does that mean that you're doing it lots, or would it work if you just wished you were doing it lots but didn't have the opportunity?!

I find the only time I get bothered by mozzies is under the table at the taverna - i.e. they fly under the table and get my ankles as opposed to me being under the table. Mind you... :wink:

I now smother my ankles with whatever spray the missus has packed (she is very susceptible to bites - does that mean I am sexually active but she isn't - ooh err! :? ) and it works a treat.

tracey&peter

Steve & Val

I now understand why I'm covered from head to toe with those bites!!!!

Tracey x

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Eggy

Sexually active eh! - Now I understand why I get more bites than a fisherman in a mackeral shoal.

Paul/Deb5

Hi all

Very interesting !! at least you will know whens the best time?its when your partner gets a few Mozzie bites, it makes getting bitten not so bad now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Mozzies only like the bald bits,thats the bottom of the legs and of course the head !!!!!!!!!!!

Paul/Deb5