Author Topic: mosquitos  (Read 46363 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: mosquitos
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
It seems that we wont have to worry about mozzies in Cornwall this year... just read an article about a venomous form of black widow spider that has come off the banana boats and is spending the summer in Cornwall!  Any remedies for that?  I hate spiders in any form let alone the black widow variety... this women got bitten in bed by one!

Just typica! we go somewhere else and have something else to worry about!  I would rahter have the mozzies
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline DaisysMum

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • http://www.crazydaisyjewellery.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
Haven't heard about that and I live here!!   Will have to do some investigating.

becky

Offline DaisysMum

• http://www.crazydaisyjewellery.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
If you should see a "black widow" wave a pasty at him, that should scare him away.   Especially ones of those awful excuses for pasties that are made by a company that begins with a "G"

I know it's not the same as Arillas, but if you haven't been to Cornwall before, there are some lovely beaches to enjoy, several secluded ones if you know where to go - unfortunately you can't guarantee the weather.

Hope you have a lovely holiday even if it's not Arillas.

Becky

Offline wayne

• arillas trip 6
  • Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 02:58:05 AM »
just got back and nothing worked for me this year had jungle formula and skin so soft and got twenty bites and they are driving me crazy as i type this message.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »
I was really surprised this year. I get attacked like mad they just home in on me but none what so ever the other week. Think maybe it was due to swallows nest on balconey and mozies getting eaten before they cold eat me. lol. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline 4x4

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
I have tried various treatments for Mozi bites.
I always spray myself with jungle formula but this year I have been told to take antihistamine tablets about two  weeks before going.
It will not stop you being bitten but you will not be so badly affected by the bites !. That’s the theory and I have been on the stuff for a week now. Just one more week to go and we will see. 
I will report back on my return.  Yamass

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 01:15:10 PM »
This is an interesting video. Look carefully at the mosquito's body filling with blood!!!!!!

No wonder you get red splats over the walls when you kill them.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
We tried Repel 55 at christmas in Thailand and didn't get one bite, though some people in our hotel suffered badly.
So I am taking it to try in Arillas this year and hoping for the same results, though I must add it's no good for anyone trying to avoid Deet

Offline kb62

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
skin so soft has always done the trick for us.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 04:43:42 AM »
Hi all!
Just got back from my 'May' trip to Arillas. Must admit I got well bitten at first, despite my liberal application on 'Jungle Strength" mozzie lotion. Seems to happen in the evenings when out for a meal. I just covered up, wearing socks and shoes, long trousers, and concentrated my attention to my bare arms, and face. That seemed to stop the b***ers!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »
Had a tip today.... Listerine is supposed to be good... put it into a small spray bottle and they hate it.. spray it everywhere in your room... We also use lemongrass/citrus incense sticks at home and away, seems to work
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
I always get bitten quite bad, especially in the first week. So if anyone wants to hire me as the decoy Mozzie blood bank my rates are very reasonable. I'd rather be bitten and in Arillas than not be there at all. :-)

Offline biglee

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • clements locksmiths
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »
MARMITE

i dont mean rubbing it over your body !!

it loads of it before you fly out then keep eating it when your out there on your toast.
it will seep through your pours.
the mosies will either love ya or hate ya

bih lee
I LOVE ARILLAS IT'S GODS LITTLE ACRE.

DONT ASK FOR CHANGE IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT Is

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
Hi All,
Marmite is yeast extract based so it should work. A friend of mine takes yeast tablets two weeks before traveling and every day whilst abroad and he swears by them. Never seen any bites on him.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline KarenL

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »
We got back yesterday, and the mossies seemed far, far worse than we have previously experienced (usually in Sept & Oct).

I don't usually get bitten as much as my husband - but I reckon even I ended up with over 50 on my face, as well as another 20/30 elsewhere.  I'm a regular Marmite eater - so blow that theory out of the water.  I think my face was the target as the only bit not covered by bed clothes - well, I've got to breathe sometime!  Overnight is when we got "done": we can't be the only people who find it too warm to leave the shutters closed all night?

We've tried citronella-based repellents, but they seem to wear off quite quickly ... and I'm a bit reluctant to use anything too "chemically" in case I'm allergic to it ... I have a tendency to such things ...

Booking.com