A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu

Started by TerryW, August 08, 2007, 01:15:09 PM

soniaP

R is for Romeos at Pagi. Fantastic taverna.

Jo Wissett

Yes Sonia I meant evedmon or however you spell it haha!

soniaP

soniaP

S is for seafood spaghetti at Gratselas

kevin-beverly

HI ALL

T FOR TABLE At Dionysos Restaurant & Apartments Afionas a lovely views

kevin

kevin-beverly

Quote from: vivian on August 30, 2018, 07:26:50 PM

Question to Kev from Pete, I cant remember what this is called, please help

sorry i didnt back sooner but my case needed to be packed to arillas comes first haha

well here it is
Large Cuckoo Pint, Arum italicum
Arum italicum is a common wildflower throughout the Mediterranean region, but is also frequently seen in gardens in Britain and other more northerly European countries where it has been cultivated.

Like other arums, this plant has long-stalked, heart-shaped leaves which are deeply veined in white or cream. The tiny flowers of arums are found on the thickened central axis of the plant, called the spadix, which is tightly wrapped in a large fleshy sheath, called the spathe. As the plant develops, the spathe opens to reveal the spadix.
Meaning of the Name

Arum
From the Greek word 'aron' which is variously described as meaning 'climbing' or 'poisonous plant'. 

italicum
simply means 'of' or 'from Italy' and the plant is said to be a native of southern Europe.  It is not clear, however, whether the plant was named as coming from Italy or because the pattern on the leaves was thought to be like Italian marble.

How Poisonous, How Harmful?
Toxic component is calcium oxalates. These needle-shaped crystals can irritate the skin, mouth, tongue, and throat, resulting in throat swelling, breathing difficulties, burning pain, and stomach upset.

Though the orange berries are quite attractive, their acrid taste and the tingling in the mouth which begins quite quickly, mean that large amounts are rarely ingested and serious harm is unusual.

When it's not flowering, Italian arum can be mistaken for calla lily, but beware - this plant can quickly become a nightmare. ... Human health is also a concern, as all parts of Italian arum are poisonous. Contact with this plant can cause skin irritation; eating any part of the plant can be fatal.

vivian

Right I will stay away from it in future.xx

Stay Nude it ante rude

vivian

Stay Nude it ante rude

soniaP

S is for Saint George church at the old fortress in Corfu Town

soniaP

soniaP

Sorry don't know how managed to download same photo twice

Try again

Try for tablecloth at Vinceremos

vivian

Stay Nude it ante rude

vivian

I guess im going to have to add a V at beginning off this. Very young tortoise

Stay Nude it ante rude

soniaP

W is for Wensday s at Kostas on the Beach. Their English is better than my Greek.

TerryW

I have to cheat now as 'X' words are getting harder.

eXtinguished fires at Troumpeta in 2010, which were all around the petrol station. So sad to see this devastation