A to Z - Photographs of Arillas and Corfu

Started by TerryW, August 08, 2007, 01:15:09 PM

Truth

And Tria in the background mate...... wish I was there now 🙁
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

vivian

Nikos and Pete having a well earned rest

Stay Nude it ante rude

kevin-beverly

HI

O FOR ORANGE SUNSET on top of Akrotiri

Kev sep 2015

patrickjohn

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

kevin-beverly

HI

Q FOR QUOD [prison] on Vidos island

Vidos Island is a small island about 530 acres of fresh green nature. It is located right across from the old port, not even 2 km away. Vidos Island is full of history that goes back to ancient times. It has been owned by many different people and countries since as far back as we know.
Agios Stefanos was the first church to be built on this beautiful on by the apostles of Corfu in 80 AD. Which is what the island used to be called, Agios Stefanos. After many years when the Venetians were in Control of Corfu, Vidos island was owned by a wealthy Italian. He eventually changed the name to Maliepiero Island (his last name). However, soon after he was gone and the Greeks switched the name to Vidos Island.
Many Serbians came to Corfu, finding refuge after being at war with Austria during the first world war. Unfortunately, many of them did not survive, eventually dying from different illnesses. In 1936, they built a Mausoleum for the fallen soldiers.
Soon after in 1918 Vidos became a prison, much like Alcatraz! Although, Vidos held prisoners during the war. It is said that there used to be a tunnel going from the old fortress all the way to the island.
Vido Island just like Corfu is a place for nature lovers. There are plenty of trails to hike on this small little island if you get a little bored enjoying sunbathing on the beach! There are many caves you can also visit and wonder around.
The water is crystal clear while the beaches are gorgeous. There is a boat that goes to vidos island every hours. It only takes 10 minutes and costs 5 euros. Not many people know about Vidos island, but it is a great place to get away on your getaway!
There is only one restaurant on this island, but even being so, the prices are decent and the food is great! Fish fresh from the sea you swim in!
There are 3 beaches to choose from that will all let you relax while slowly darkening that skin!

The small, wooded isle of Vidos lies just half a mile from Corfu Town's Old Port, allowing you to glimpse the
historical buildings of the Old Town and St. Spiridon's church, framed by pine trees and clear blue sea. Known in ancient times as the Island of Hera, sister of Zeus and goddess of marriage, the seemingly tranquil paradise of Vidos has lived through much history. Under Venetian rule, which dominated Corfu Greece from the 15th century to the early 18th century, tunnels were built linking Vidos with the main island. Criminals were tried at the Old Fortress in Corfu Town, and then transported through the tunnels to Vidos island , which was once Corfu's 'Alcatraz'
The isolated remains of the prison and its solitary confinement area can still be found today. Vidosisland had
always been a strategic point in Corfu's defences, and following the departure of the Venetians, Vidos island was fortified under French governance. Vidos also gained its name from the French. The last foreign power in Corfu was the British, who turned Vidos into an almost impenetrable fortress, before destroying their own and all the previous fortifications on their departure. They also demolished the church of Agios Stefanos, which had been built by the
Saints Jason and Sosipatros. A final chapter in Vidos' island history came during the First World War.
By following forest paths, you can discover the haunting Serbian Mausoleum, monument to some 1,232 Serbian soldiers who lost their lives to plague and starvation while defending Corfu's freedom. Inside, all of the soldiers are commemorated and offerings of flowers and candles are strewn amongst the photographs and memories.
A memorial book is also provided for those who wish to add their gratitude and thoughts. Today, the island of Vidos is a more peaceful escape, and a favourite amongst Greeks and tourists alike. The pine-strewn paths lead you through the island's history, but also to its present beauty. Stunning, secluded beaches and quiet forest spots can be found, as well as a sole taverna at which you can enjoy the traditional food and spectacular view across the sea to Corfu Town.
Another point of interest is a beautiful old house, which was used in the filming of 'Fedora', a 1970s film set in
Corfu and starring Michael York. Vidos also accommodates the Kerkyra Bird and Wildlife sanctuary, and you will come across the wild rabbits, pheasants and goats who call Vidos home as you explore Corfu island.
Many resorts on the East coast of Corfu offer organised excursions to Vidos island , but it is also possible to visit the
island using a regular boat service from Corfu Town's (Kerkyra)Old Port

Kev sep

kevin-beverly

HI

R FOR ROAD ALONG THE FRONT OF ARILLAS BEACH

KEV AUG 2021

Eggy

Kevin  - Where pray is that location and what year did you take the pic?
Negg

kevin-beverly

HI Neil

It was this year August I think it is Kaloudis end

S FOR SANDY ARILLAS BEACH

KEV AUG 2021

Eggy

Cheers Kevin - Just shows that I always turn left when approaching the beach.
Negg

patrickjohn

T

Kev's photo, Eggy, was by the 4G bar at the Marinaki.

Towing in

by pj's memories, on Flickr
(When Billy's boat ran out of fuel -7th September 2014!)

Best wishes - Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

kevin-beverly

HI Patrick
It's G2 Bar not G4 with a S is a  security company Taking prisoners away you thought you was still a copper haha and Neil sitting in the back of the van a big HAHAHA

U FOR UNBRELLA OUTSIDE INA'D coffee and bio store

KEV AUG 2021

Eggy

and.....not only that, Kevin , Umbrella has an "M" not an "N" - so there!!!!!
Negg

kevin-beverly

Hi Neil

I put un because you are under haha
And you missed ina's  I put ina'd  bad day I start again I think 🤔

Kev

Eggy

kevin-beverly

HI

V FOR VINTRY a place where wine is sold. In Corfu Town

KEV SEP 2016