Arillas Bay Apartments 2008....BEWARE!

Started by GaryS, July 15, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

JC

Just read all these postings about Arillas Bay apartments and am feeling pretty anxious about it.  I'm travelling out there on 11 August for two weeks - my seventh trip, and seventh stay at AB.  We felt it was going downhill a bit last year - we only ate at Seabreeze once and found it dull and disappointing, but the pool was clean and linen changed twice a week.  Accommodation has always been basic, hot and buggy but good mosi control and renting a fan from the bar made it manageable.

What I CAN'T manage is dealing with the fear of wandering Albanians breaking in at night.  I am a woman holidaying alone this year and feel particularly vulnerable.

Eggy, I don't know you but I always enjoy your posts (I wrote on this forum earlier in the year about coming out to Arillas alone and asking would there be others to play cards/scrabble with, and I loved the ribald replies I got!), or anyone else who is in situ, is it possible for you or someone to check out AB in the next few days and find out if the Albanian has moved out, please ?  Also if AB are getting their act together, or if I should ask Thom Cook for a change of accomm.  (Doubtful mid-season, I guess).

I am really sorry to hear about Thomas.  Did someone say that Nicoletta (his wife) had died earlier this year ?  They are not mixing her up with Grandma who died last year, are they ?

If anyone else is reading this who is going to be in Arillas 11-25 August and would like to meet up for a meal, drink or game of cards/scrabble, do get in touch.  I'm 58, fat, female and definitely NOT on the pull !

JC

robalysha

hi all!
B block doesnt have such the threat of the albainan gentleman getting in as A block have diferent doors/shutters but B block is the block that they put couples in as it only sleeps 2.
JC, when we left on the 14th july the albanian was still living there and apparently showed no signs of going anywhere as he is very friendly with the owners who dont seemed bothered by his presence and recievin money from him to live there.

JC

Thanks robalysha.  Is the Albanian living in Thomas and Nicoletta's little shack round the back of the whole complex ?  Or in the big apartment through the grapevines ?

JC

robalysha

if you walk past B4 or look straight down from the main road, its that bungalow there where he is living.

GaryS

Thats terrible news about the father. It does not however excuse what has and is happening. My Father died last September of cancer, very sudden, working in June and gone in September. My mother bless her paid for our holiday as a thanks for the support during a terrible time.

Our holiday was very special, but for us the Arillas Bay, did everything it possible could to spoil that. Sad as the situation is for their father, it does not excuse them and the the piece of filth they have living on their site (yes Im talking about the Albanian)

MicK-G

There was a family living on the site who'd move from England. The mom used to work in the bar. They had three children does anybody know what happened to them as my kids were hoping to meet up with them again.

SBPL2458

Hi MicK-G,
We are the family from England that were living at Arillas Bay. Sadly we had to return to England in October 2007 as things didn't work out for us in Corfu. Hoping to return one day when the kids have all left school and maybe try again.
Linda.
Lin and Steve.

k

Hi
I have just returned from a week's stay at the Arillas Bay apartments.  I am so glad I did not know about the reported incidents before we went although I did think it was strange we were the only ones there on 14/07/08.  This was our first time in Arillas and we loved the resort although we were surprised how quiet it was.  The apartment was basic as expected and the towels were tatty but that was not a major problem.  There were a lot of tiny ants in the kitchen and the family staying next door were convinced they had loads of flee bites but I dont know if this was correct.  We were in A block and the view and balconies were brilliant.  B block had no views and I was glad not to be staying in there.  We noticed how quiet the taverna was compared to next door.  We did eat in the Seabreeze one lunch time but when my friend went to pay she saw a large cockroach on the floor of the main bar area.  My son used the bar toilet on one occasion and said it was very dirty.  We decided not to risk eating there again.  My main concern was that the owners put up a notice to say the fire/smoke alarms were not working and that if we saw a fire we should inform them direct.  The signs stayed up for approx 2 -3 days but then we were not notified if they were working again after that.
The sunbeds and brollies around the pool were quite tatty.  During our stay a child of a family staying there, decided to pooh in the children's section of the pool.  As not wearing trunks this was disgusting.  This prompted a discussion amongst some people around the pool that apparently the owner had informed them earlier that day that the pool fiter was not working.  The child was then allowed by his parents and grand parents to wee twice into the main pool whilst standing on the side.  They were not a family to be confronted!  I do not know if the owner was informed of these incidents but I never witnessed the pool being cleaned during the entire week. There were insects floating on the surface.  Needless to say the pool area was deserted for the remainder of our stay.  The pool table was covered in dust.  There was a dart board but they did not have any darts. The bar area was deserted most of the time and did not look very clean.

Reading the reports on what happened before we arrived has taken the edge off an enjoyable holiday although I did not see a man fitting that description so maybe he has left.  The beach was fantastic, the views and sunsets were lovely.  The resort was relatively unspoilt.  A few windy days and not cheap food and drinks wise.  The location of the apartments was great but I would not risk staying there again.

Eileen

Can things get any worse? 

It's such a shame K that you did not come across the previous reviews before you left for Arillas as you would have then known to demand a transfer. 

Perhaps this is a silly question and I hope you don't mind me asking,  but you said...

"Reading the reports on what happened before we arrived has taken the edge off an enjoyable holiday"

Do you think it has altered your overall opinion of  your holiday and would you consider returning to Arillas?

Regards,

Eileen.

Your holiday deserves a place like this...
www.villalinakis.com

https://twitter.com/VillaLinakis

Villa Linakis on FB

Shuey

That is such a shame.  We have walked past these appartments in previous years and the swimming pool area always looked very pleasant (from the road, not close up). 

How absolutely discusting to let a child openly wee in the pool.

It is such a shame that these appartments have gone down hill, lets hope things improve over the next couple of months because if they dont, i cant see many people booking them up for next season!

ger

please don't let it spoil your view of arillas k, we stayed at the arillas bay in 2007, and i have to say it was pretty bad then (no albanians though) but it did not put us off, the friendliness of the people and just the beauty of the place for us was somewhere we had to return. we stayed this year at the akti arilla, which was wonderful, please give arillas another try!
ger x

Ang

The more I read the more I feel angry that both the tour company and owners are totally oblivious reminds me of the first cheap holidays that came about some 25-30yrs ago when we all thought we were getting a real good deal and then ended up in flea ridden dirty smelly hole of a room or apt, I think we have all moved on from those days so why are these companies assuming that all we want is sun sea and a kiss me quick hat and we have no standard's If TC had the courage they should make changes NOW honour the agreement with the owners but at least treat the customer with the respect of ensuring they get a reasonable quality for the price paid AFTERALL its hard enough over here at the moment so a well earned holiday should be just that,why accept less standards than you would at home.
Rant over
ANG

Quack John

Blimey, it just gets worse!!

Sounds like my first task when we arrive at AB on Tuesday morning is to track down the TC / Manos Rep and sort out a move!

At least there was no mention in k's report about the albanian, so maybe that's a start!

John & Claire

(still positive and getting more excited by the day!) :)

JC

Dear Linda of reply no. 96
Fairly new to this site so don't know if this is how you send a personal message ...
I am Jenny - JC of reply no. 90 on the Arillas Bay Apartments.  Do you remember my friend Emmy and I stayed at AB last summer (and many summers before) and your kids became friendly with Molly (whose parents we befriended).  We took them all canoeing one afternoon.
I was wondering what had happened to you and if you made it through another winter in Arillas ?  Would love to know more about how it didn't work out for you, and are you back in Cornwall ?
What do you think about all the disasters at AB ?  You will see from my post yesterday that I am fairly anxious about going to AB in two weeks time, particularly as I am travelling alone this year.
Would love to hear from you.  Best wishes to Steve and the kids.
Jenny  PS Apologies if this is going out to the rest of the world but it doesn't say how to send a personal message.

robalysha

k, i have to agree with ger. we were moved from the arillas bay apartments to the akti arillas and would certainly go back to arillas because it is such a lovely place but would just book up for the akti arilla as that is such a great hotel we couldnt fault it!