Walking Map

Started by blondegirl, January 11, 2008, 12:48:37 PM

blondegirl

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that made the maps from last year.  I think he did a walking map in the Arillas area.  Pete and Evie had one and it was very detailed.  I would like to get hold of one if anyone can remember.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

blondegirl

Just found it not to worry!

martin-w

Hi Blondegirl!
I have two books that I wouldn't be without in Arillas. They are both published by Marengo Publications,17 Bernard Crescent, Hunstanton. PE36 6ER. Tel. 01485 532710. They are both lightweight soft covered books, complete with transparent plastic pouches to protect them when put and about! The web address is:-
<www.marengowalks.com>
1) 'Walks in Northwest Corfu' by Lance Chilton.  Ref.CFBM-UK.( a guide for walkers in the Arillas, Agios Stefanos and Agios Georgios area of Northwest Corfu). Book comes complete with large scale detailed map of all roads, paths, churches and landmarks.
2) 'Plant list for Corfu' also by Lance Chilton. Ref.CFP. (a list of plants found in the Greek Ionian island of Corfu).
I am a keen photographer and armed with good walking shoes and a compass I get to all sorts of 'off the beaten track' places.
Hope this helps,
Martin.

blondegirl

Efharisto Martin!

I requested a map from "map man" so will see whether that will be useful.  We like to do some walking but are not "serious" walkers... I dont like to go too far off the beaten track... I prefer circular walks with a goal (like a long cold drunk- sorry drink or breakfast), I cant stand retreading our steps such a waste of time and energy which we dont have much of.

I will look at Marengos though.

Dave n Anne

Hi Blondegirl

The map sounds interesting as Anne and myself like to do a bit of walking , is it possible you can let me know where to get hold of one of these maps .

Yammas

Dave n Anne

blondegirl

Hi Dave  I found it on this site:   http://www.agni-animal-welfare-fund.com/Maps.asp

Hope that helps... I cant remember whether it was for walking or driving but it was a good one to look at...  www.marengowalks.com  sounds like a good one to have too.

Sue

Dave n Anne

Hi Sue

Many thanks for that will have a look at them both .

Yammas

Dave

ANN

We have done almost all of the walks in Lance Chilton's book and a few from  Landscapes of Corfu (Sunflower books). I can recommend both books. The walks do not stray too far from the island's Mythos supply but you do need to take plenty of water and wear a sun hat.
We are looking forward to doing some of the walks again in June this year.

blondegirl

I looked at Marengos walks and they have one when we are there in September... do you  have to book or something or just turn up at the meeting point and tag along.

They have one for 5.5 miles in Arillas (hopefully its a round trip) which I think we could manage.  That would be fun to have a go at that, at least you wouldnt be wandering around lost and someone knows more about the place than we do.

Eileen

Hi Sue,

I should imagine it's unlikely that you will just be able to turn up and tag along on the day.  More than likely Lance will need to make sure that he has sufficient numbers before the event to ensure it is financially worthwhile.

I will drop him an email and perhaps he will write a comment on the forum.

Quote from the website:

"The walks fee is £120 per person per week, and includes 6 days of walks. In addition, there will be a compulsory local transport cost, of no more than 75 Euros per person, payable to Lance on the first morning. This is for your share of the transport we have booked on your behalf for the short outward and inward transfers on several of the walk days. Please note that since the transport is booked in advance, this is payable even if you were to opt out of the particular walk(s) involving transport."

Here is the relevant page.... http://www.marengowalks.com/Corfu_gw.html

Eileenx
Your holiday deserves a place like this...
www.villalinakis.com

https://twitter.com/VillaLinakis

Villa Linakis on FB

martin-w

Hi All,
I think the fee for a week's walks is a bit steep! (no pun intended). With some common sense, a compass and a map you really cant go far wrong in and around Arillas. Even if you can't use a compass there are so many landmarks and if the worst comes to the worst, you can generally ask a local for directions back to Arillas. You are generally not very far from civilization! I have found that you see more of the wild life if you are in ones or twos and you are able to appreciate the peace and beauty of the place more.
These days, if you have your mobile phone in your pocket you do have more security.
On the other hand, I can see why a group walk would appeal.
Can't wait to get there!
Martin.

blondegirl

Well I think we shall give the organised walk a miss... dont really fancy 6 days of walking (we are not that keen)... you could time it to walk back to the airport in 6 days lol..

Think we shall stick with our own independent Hike!

cw0801

Hi, I'm Lance who is leading the guided walks in Arillas this September. Just to clarify a couple of points - the walks are sold as a series of 6 days, rather than individual days that people can just turn up for. This means that the group gets to know each other - many of the walkers come with us each year, to different destinations, so will always know already at least a few people in the group, so the groups are very sociable. It also means we can organize minibus/taxi transport well in advance. The six days are graded to become a little longer/more energetic each day, as the group gets more exercised - not so practical if new people are turning up each day. By leading people for several days, I can get to know them and point out things of interest to them and give them more detailed info on their particular interests. A description of our 2003 walks is at www.marengowalks.com/corfu_report.html.

blondegirl

Hi Lance.. Thanks for clarifying that.   Very good information if you are keen walkers and its always nice to have company of people who know "where they are going".  We would find 6 days walking a bit too much for us though, it took us two attempts to try the hill to Afionas.  When we got to the top the 2nd time we were very pleased with ourselves!

Many thanks

Sue

blondegirl

I received my map today from Mapman.. very quickly it was sent too.  It is a great map for driving, shows easy routes through Corfu Town too and has lots of extra information on it.  He has done a lot of work  with it.  You can contact Stephen on thecorfumap@ntl.com    if anyone is interested.