Praying Mantis

Started by Sara, October 31, 2010, 04:04:26 PM

Sara

This little character seemed to love posing for the camera!
Villa Theia is available rent. For more details see:-
www.villatheia-corfu.com
www.holidaylettings.co.uk/76640
www.facebook.com/pages/Villa-Theia/191205544226658

iluvsangeorge

Well spotted Sara !!   and good photo too.

Can I be cheeky and ask permission to use it on my Nature pages please ?

I have never managed to find one.

Just a reminder to anyone interested in natural history that my web-pages encompass the districts of Arillas and San Stefanos as well as Agios Georgios.  Because of the limitations of my short visits on holidays I have asked before for notes and contributions from anyone who visits the area. It all adds to the benefit of potential visitors.
http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/naturecorner.htm

Dennis

Sara

Hi Dennis,

Yes, of course you can use it.

It must be the time of year because we saw several on this visit, gecko's too.

Sara..x

www.villatheia-corfu.com

justphil

Now there's a commendation Sara! From our very own Dennis. I adored the picture but didn't have the technical knowledge to understand why.

Like I am with Strictly Come Dancing, I can tell in an instant when they go wrong. But chasses, promenades, fleckles and... I don't have a clue. But somehow you can tell what is good or not.

This piece of Arillas Wildlife will just shut up now and say "fantastic picture luvver..."

Phil

iluvsangeorge

Thanks Sara. I have posted a smaller picture on my Insects page.

Have just been 'Googling' for info about the Praying Mantis. Not a very nice fella really especially the female.  I recall seeing one on David Attenborough TV films crunching up a grasshopper.

But listen to this. After mating the female usually tries to eat the male and begins by biting off his head  ..... talk about one-night stands !  Apparently the few experienced males have learned to extend mating and then carefully but quickly dismount and scram !

Dennis

TONYNEW

I think the green snake that it's sat on might be a tad to big for him Sara ;-)
Tony

Sara

Haha Dennis. Thanks for that information. What a wonderful species the female is!!

Tony, believe me, if that was a snake I wouldn't have got that close to have taken the photo. I would have ran inside & closed all the doors.
www.villatheia-corfu.com

Val n Bill

Once saw a Praying Mantis sitting near the beer taps at a pool bar just waiting for wasps to land, talk about a free lunch!!!!!
       Val
The love affair continues.