My first 'solo' trip to Arillas.

Started by martin-w, May 19, 2008, 04:55:12 PM

martin-w

Hi all!
May 1st. arrived and I realised that in 24 hours I would be in Arillas. I finished the packing weighed everything and then had a quick panic! Me, going to Arillas, on my own, on a plane,...... then my son rang. He and my daughter in law realised that I would need some backup, so I went to their home until it was time to go to the airport. We had a nice evening and a few drinks and I was in holiday mood when dawn broke and we made our way to the airport.
Check in was a dawdle but not having flown for some time I was surprised at the 'kerfuffle' that followed in security! At last, in the departure lounge I relaxed and waited for the boarding call, relaxed and thinking of meeting Dorita at The Bardis Sun Hotel.
The Cabin Staff on the Thomsonfly 757-200 were great. Made me feel relaxed and welcome and most of my fears went away. Got talking to my neighboring passengers and by the time the captain announced the take off I was fine.
The plane climbed and turned towards Cardiff and I saw my home and the Seven estuary with the two bridges as we made for the south east coast.
The in flight meal was great, I had a tray full of full English, and others had a pack of sarnies! Advantage of private booking.
The flight and landing was great arriving half an hour early, and I was one of the first to get my bags off the 'magic roundabout'. I made my way to the airport exit to find my pre booked taxi. I waited and all the other members of the flight found their coaches leaving me to wait for my taxi to arrive. Looking a bit lost and abandoned a very kind Thomson rep asked me if I needed help and told me to contact her if I needed help, which I thought was very good of her.
At the arranged time a young man approached me holding up a cardboard sign which said 'Aris, Arillas' and he said "Hi, I'm Stamatis, you must be Martin". He took all my bags and showed me to his taxi, a Mercedes with Aircon and 45 minutes later, after a very good journey, with a description of places of interest we passed, I arrived in Arillas to a wonderful welcome from Dorita and Angellica.
I unpacked, showered, and made my way to Brouklis Taverna for a glass of Mythos and a chat. Another great welcome from Dimitris and his family and the boys at Brouklis Taverna. Met a very happy and contented five month old little boy for the first time. He really is great and doing very well.
Had my first meal at Brouklis which was delicious and the first of many memorable visits during my stay.
On my way home I called at Ina's supermarket for milk and tea and had another 'Arillas' welcome and then on to The Bardis Sun Studios to meet Spiros,Poppy, George and Bobby.. what a welcome from all that day, I felt I had come home!
Next day I explored more and met lots of friends old and new, and during the week to follow members of this forum, wont mention all the names but great to meet you all and Eggy and Wendy at last! Members night at the Coconut was a bit sparsely attended but I think this may be due to the time. At 8pm. most members are eating and perhaps Tuesday afternoon may be a better time.
I went on lots of walks to Afionis, Ageos Geogios, Ageos Stefanos and took loads of photos. Sampled the menu at many of the tavernas, Grazziella, Thomas' Fish Taverna, Portofino, Mon Amour to name a few.
When I arrived in Arillas the village was in the process of waking up from its winter rest. I saw the gradual increase in visitor numbers and increasing activity in preparation by the residents. By the end of the first week the village had been transformed into Arillas as we all know it! Work on the two pools is now shooting ahead, not much more to go, Akti nearer the finish with its spectacular Greek theme! reckon another three weeks for the other. Despite the building work, nothing much has changed, it's still the Arillas we all love so much. The additional extensions that we have all heard about have all been done very tastefully and even the new glass lift blends in well with its surroundings.
One afternoon I was at Brouklis having a swift Mythos when an obviously 'new' British family walked passed and stopped to look at the menu. The man looked and said "Hey look its all in bl**dy Greek." I couldn't resist the comment 'well there's a surprise'! Dimitris and I had a good laugh.
During my stay I met lots of new friends, like myself, on their own but feeling totally 'at home'. Dennis staying at Spiros and Poppy's is there for eight weeks!
I had a really wonderful two weeks, great company, great food and drink in a wonderful place. I didn't want to leave. Dorita was a wonderful host at The Bardis Sun Hotel, a lovely place to stay in comfortable surroundings with a magnificent pool. New this year in all rooms, satalite  T.V. and Airconditioning, cant wait to get back.. hope to book three weeks or a month in September!
Please be patient with me as I have a new elecrtonic S.L.R. camera and over 300 photos to download onto my Apple Mac G4. As soon as I can I will share them with you once I get to grips with the new technology! Even spotted the donut man on Thursday and got him well and truly recorded as he made off at speed. Doesn't he like being photographed?
My homeward trip was uneventful. Taxi transfer was on time, but huge queues at Corfu airport a lot of which was in the open outside the airport which got quite uncomfortable  in the mid day heat! Good flight home another nice meal on the plane and a smooth landing in a very wet, cold (10c) Cardiff Airport, leaving me with all those glowing memories of a great holiday in Arillas.
If there is anyone out there with doubts about 'going it alone' my advice is book it, you will be fine as I have proved!
Yammas,
Martin. 

Smiffypink

Oh Martin, what a fantastic report!!!

I for one love a long and detailed report, i have done these myself, always good to get all your memories down and info for others!!

Im so glad you had a good time, as we all knew you would, im glad Arillas welcomed you with open arms and you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

Great news about the sattelite tv and the air con in each room, very good additions me thinks.

Im so glad to hear that youre going to be going back, and maybe for a month too, im sooooo jealous!!

Im very happy for you Martin that you made some fantastic new memories xx

Erja

Thank you Martin!

That was a nice report :)
Life is good ;)

Marymary

Martin.
I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and sorry I didn't get to meet anyone from the forum. But my holiday had a sudden change of plans. I am about to post my aplogy letter to Dorita this afternoon. You are right it is the same lovely old Arillas that we love. I still flew home and back on my own and I liked it better than flying with a companion because I was my own eyes and ears and actually felt more confident doing it on my own. I saw one party of about 20 people getting all confused over mixed up tickets and passports at Newcastle airport, I just sailed though check in and security, and had  a great seat next to the window and by the exit doors so loads of leg room great for me cause I'm quite tall and sat next to two great women who chatted to me both outbound and homebound journeys.  I hope to return in September be it solo or otherwise and I will meet everyone this time.

Happy hols
Mary

Jo Wissett

Fantastic report Martin.  So glad you enjoyed yourself.  We all knew you would and I, for one, was grinning like a cheshire cat when I saw the pic that Eggy took of you enjoying a drink in the Horizon. Hopefully it has wetted your appetite for more solo travel, especially in this little piece of heaven!

ger

great report martin, sounds like you had a great time, interested to hear about the greek theme for the akti pool??? we will be staying there in june, can't wait to see it, did you take any photo's of it?!
ger x

justjen

Smashing report Martin. Glad you had such a good time - but then we all knew you would - impossible not to there. We are hoping for a second trip in September so maybe see you there.

Best Wishes, Jen.

blondegirl

Well done Martin! You did it!  What a brilliant report and you look so at home in the photo.
I am very pleased the transfer went smoothly and that you enjoyed your stay at Doritas.  I can wait now to meet her and to stay there in September.  It sounds brilliant... Mike will enjoy having a tv to switch on and relax for an hour or so.

Efharisto! 
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

riggers

What a great and detailed post Martin. Sounds like you had a really good time. May just see you in September.....

riggers.................

blondegirl

oops!  it should read "cant wait" to meet Dorita!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

PaulnMaria

Great post Martin. It was nice to meet you last week, you certainly looked like you were enjoying yourself. Hope you managed to repair that flat tyre :) :) :)

Paul & Denise

Martin,
What a great diary of your holiday, so pleased it went so well. Did you use the walk book or was it just walks you had done before? look forward to seeing photos when you get the time to post them. bet plans are well advanced for your return?
Paul

Cheryl2307

Welcome back, Martin!  Thank you for such a lovely post, so well described I felt like I was there with you!  The world's your oyster now!  Hope you're not too miserable now you're back - best cure for that - book your next trip to Arillas!  Enjoy all the washing too!
Cheryl O

vivian

Great to meet you Martin really enjoyed our natter's and knew as soon as we saw you that you felt quite at home. Viv & Pete

Stay Nude it ante rude

Sandy x

I'm so glad it all worked out well for you Martin.....sorry I missed you.

First of many adventures now you know you can do it.......
Sandy x