Our first visit: bikes

Started by jaxbikes, September 19, 2007, 02:58:15 PM

jaxbikes

Hi - Newbie here so please be gentle. My wife and I are coming to Arillas on the 24th Sept for the first time and have found  this site/forum an excellent source of information  - feel as if I almost know the place already and looking forward to staying at the Makris for a week.

Has anyone done any mountan biking around Arillas and North West Corfu generally as we will be bringing our own bikes for some morning exercise before crashing on the north beach ? We've visited Greece many times but not been to Corfu for some 20 years and are delighted to find somewhere like Arillas.

any comments welcomed.  Thanks

Mick and Jill

Sorry I'm not that fit so have never tried mountain biking although when we go on our walks we have seen quite a few people ontheir bikes.  There are some very steep hills but I'm sure if you are taking your own bikes you must be extra extra fit.

You will have a great holiday.
Jill
Jill XXX

Fiona

Hi Jaxbikes

I am not a cyclist anymore, but as the mother of a keen downhill mountain biker, I guess Arillas would prove quite a challenge - as long as you like undulating countryside!!  I have to be honest and say that I have not seen many bicycles in Arillas as most locals seem to use scooters/mopeds and cars but I know they rent them out at Arkokal Travel.

Arillas itself is fairly flat, but has steep hills in all directions when you leave the village.  Off road is not going to be as well catered for as in the UK, but there are loads of little tracks all over the place for you to explore.

Enjoy your holiday and we hope you love Arillas as much as the rest of us on the forum.

Fiona

Jo Wissett

Yes as fiona said, you can hire them from Arkokal travel which is the business next to the ATM machine.  You have to give them 24 hours notice I think as they store them somwhere else. My husband and son always rent a couple every year and they are very reasonable.  Enjoy your holiday, you will love it!

jaxbikes

Many thanks for your replies and comments.  Whilst we are keen and frequent mountain bikers we are not extra extra fit but thanks for your assumption - extra extra large maybe !

No need for hire bikes thanks -we  tend to bring our own and done it so often now it just seems natural - I guess we're scared to leave them behind in case we miss them as we've had some scary moments with hire bikes.

We're not averse to pushing up a few hills for the thrill of descending at 30mph+ I have a copy of the Corfu May from Stefanos Jaskulowski so I'm sure we can enjoy ourselves on some dusty trails - it makes crashing on  the beach in the afternoon even better.

As the weather here in Scotland is beginning to turn colder we're looking forward to some sunsets, cold Mythos and maybe bumping into some of you.

J

moi2travel

Sounds brill to me, plenty of places to bike i would say, and plenty of places to eat and drink in the evening to store up energy for the next day and bike ride.
enjoy it, you will, i promise.