torpedo in magaloudes

Started by kevin.g, August 15, 2007, 08:34:38 PM

kevin.g

thought id jump on the scooter and take a drive to sidari,i went to the petrol station in arillas and filled up ,then headed out towards sidari,on arriving at magaloudes the road narrows and becomes a little windy,on the second bend into the village a sight that i thought id never see in the hills of corfu ,was a FULL LENGTH SUBMARINE TORPEDO.I NEARLY CRASHED THE SCOOTER, GOT OFF AND WENT FOR A LOOK,LUCKILY I HAD THE CAMERA AND TOOK SOME SNAPS....IF YOUVE GOT A CAR OR BIKE ITS WELL WORTH THE VISIT. WHEN I WORK OUT HOW TO LOAD PICTURES ON THE FORUM ILL POST IT UNTIL THEN CA ANY ONE  ELSE HELP ME OUT WITH A PICTURE...........

Maggie

There's another one! When you travel from Agros to Arillas, there's one in a village lying by the side of the road. I don't know why, and I can't remember the name of the village.

TerryW

On my journey from the Airport, on the day we arrived, we ended up at Sidari and then had to drive through Magaloudes to get to Arillas. What a fantastic car ride, up the hill and round the hairpin bends, and then you suddenly see the torpedo. I loved it but Helen, being the passenger was not very thrilled. I love villages like that.

It is on the agenda for next June to have a longer look at Magaloudes and the Torpedo

TerryW

Maybe the torpedo came from this WW2 episode?

RHS Proussa

Torpedo boat of the Kidoniai class
Navy:   The Royal Hellenic Navy
Type:   Torpedo boat
Class:   Kidoniai

History:   Sunk off Corfu by Italian aircraft.

Noteable events involving Proussa include:

4 Apr, 1941
The TB was riding at anchor in Dafnila Bay, Corfu island, NW Greece, when she was attacked and sunk, along with the Greek steamer Sussanna by Italian Ju-87s belonging to the 239th Sqn, 97th Dive-bombing group (Captain Mario Larket).That air group carried out 3 attacks that day, each with 6 machines, against Greek naval vessels. Germany did not enter the fray against Greece until 6 April, therefore the notion German planes made this attack is patently incorrect.

blondegirl

On the A-Z photographs of Arillas subject there are some ideas on how to download your photos.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

PaulnMaria

There's one in Afionas too, near the church. We were told it was to comemorate the men from the village who fell during the war.

kevin.g

the one i saw was the one from afionas jimmy in the rainbow said his village donated it

sharonF

We saw the torpedo in magaloudes, doesn't it surprise you when you see it.  We were on a scooter, and you come round the bend and there it is.  Did not like the bends on that scooter, i try to steer with billy's shoulders. lol

Mick and Jill

We noticed the one in Magoulades when we had a walk to our friends house in the village.  A lovely little spot to stop and have a rest.  Got to admit walking around those hair bends was a bit scarey

Jill
Jill XXX