First time to Arillas

Started by pg32, January 11, 2007, 04:55:54 PM

pg32

Hi all.

Me and my wife and her sister and husband are booked at the Helios court Villa the first 2 weeks in September and are really looking forward to going. I have been doing some searching about the area and it seems great and all you guys seem to love it and i just wanted some feedback as to what you would recommend we could do while there?

Hope you can help and i look forward to your replies!

Paul

Smiffypink

Hi Paul,

First of all congratulations on booking a holiday to Arillas, you're going to love it!!

Things to do in Arillas, first of all relax, then sample all of the lovely restaurants, one of my favourites is Thalassa which is right on the beach front, you can eat your dinner then watch the sun set from the terrace they have at the front, sitting on the relaxing chairs, it is so beautiful!  The beach is also lovely, give that a go too.

There are walks to go on to San Stephanos and Afionas, the details of those are all in other threads, thats if you're in to walking.

We're hiring a little boat this year to have a look at all the little coves etc, i will post about that when im back, that might be something you'd like to all do.

Do go to Corfu Town if you've never been before, we went on the sundowner cruise from the harbour there, that was good, got to see Mouse Island and other points of interest, also lots of shops for the women if they're in to that!

There are a few bars to sample aswell, main ones being The Rainbow bar and The Coconut, sports are shown if thats of interest too.

All in all theres lots to see and do and if its relaxation you're after then you're going to the right place, Arillas totally chills you out!!

pg32

Thanks Smiffy!

We are all into walking so that is definitely something we will do. We are used to walking in Shetland though so it will be a lot different!!! I have already mentioned about hiring a boat as it seems there are some beautiful coves etc to explore. I went to Corfu when i was 17 for my 18th birthday celebrations and stayed in Ipsos, but looking for a more relaxing holiday this time round!! Have you any idea how much car hire is? We were going to hire a car for the odd day here and there to do a bit more exploring!

Thanks again for your feedback!

Paul

Smiffypink

You're more than welcome!

I just had a chech on recent posts, the feeling of other forum members who've hired a car is to hire before you go, through San Stefanos car hire, i think their details are on the main website page.

A couple of people hired cars last year, here's the prices.

a Fiat Punto for 10 days at 300euros, a Daewoo Matiz (very Small) for 1 week at £134 and a Vauxhall Astra for 1 week at £253.50, so i guess it varies for the size you require really and im thinking it obviously works out better to have it for a little longer than a few days.

If you have any other questions do ask and i or any of the other experienced forum members will only be too pleased to answer them for you :-) .

blondegirl

It was our first time to Arillas last year and we loved it.  We met some lovely people, the food and the restaurants were terrific, the sunsets unbelievable and most of all we had a very relaxing time.  I am sure you will really enjoy your holiday.  We are back in June and cant wait.  You will see from this site we are mad about the place as it is so unspoilt and quiet.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

pg32

Thanks Blondegirl!

I have read on here some where that the Mozzies are quite bad, is that true? In the summer here i get bit when i go and play golf so god help me over in Corfu!!!

Paul

Joe

Yes unfortunately the north west of the island is very bad for Mozzies and they seem to be very selective who they bite, some people escape completely whereas others look like they have been attacked with a plunger. You can see from the many threads on the subject that's it seems to effect quite a few people and what works for one person to repel them doesn't work for another.

On the positive side (yes there is one) I was reliably told that for whatever reason, be it environmental or political the Corfiot authorities did not spray the area with the Mozzie repellent they normally do last year until very late in the season. I went in June and got eaten alive, same thing in July, yet in early September I managed about two in the whole week so there may be some substance to this.

pg32

I hope your right Joe! I have some spray that i now use and it seems to work so i will make sure i have plenty of that and some witch hazel!! We are really looking forward to the holiday and hope the time flys by upto september! Is Arillas still quite busy in september and the weather hot?

blondegirl

I have never been bitten by mozzies until we first came to Corfu two years ago.  I was warned it was pretty bad, the first year I went armed for the 'blighters'.  You name it I had it!  Got off lightly with a couple.... but, last year was the worst.  I had so many around the lower parts of my legs and they lasted for about three weeks after I got home.  That was the end of June/July. Someone mentioned that it might be sand flies and as we were at the beach a lot perhaps this was the case.  The year before we went in September and it was very windy.  Perhaps they got blown away so was the reason we escaped being regular fodder for them.  We have never been bitten whilst in Crete, maybe because it is very windy there too.

One of the best things I use is lemongrass/citronella oil, take a small spray bottle and dilute it in water, spray around doors windows, bedding etc.  Citrus incense sticks, usual candles and I even managed to get a metre of citronella elastic to make into a number of wrist and ankle bands, now I really believe they worked the first year.  We did look a bit like Rambo (camoflage colours) and we did wear them in the sea too (not the pool)  & even in bed!  Hope it helps  but it might depend on the time of year you go.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

pg32

LOL Thanks Blondegirl. We are going the first 2 weeks in September, we arrive on the 3rd, so hoping as its not july/august they might not be so bad, although i hope its still hot!?

Are there any Brummies or Mancs on here as i am from Birmingham but my wife and her sister are from Manchester? I know im asking alot of questions, sorry!, my wifes brother in law is into buying and selling property and while we are in Corfu he might have a look for property or land, any suggestions from anybody?

Smiffypink

It will still be lovely and hot in September and will still be lots of people over there, people who know of Arillas go right up until the end of the season in October, cant get enough :-) !!

Horatio

Pg32....I do hope they have finished building Helios Court Villa by then......I would check this out before you part with any money. Some people's time scales are sometimes very different from ours......

pg32

Dont panic me Horatio!! We have spoke to the owner and he said it will be finished in April and he and his wife are going over in May to furnish it and just spend a bit of time over there. They have already bought all new Furniture etc and it is all in storage. They have got bookings i believe in july and August and we were the first to enquire about September. According to the owner someone who lives near by (english man) is a bulider and he is doing it for him. Obviously you know where the Helios Court Villa is, how far from the beach would you say it is? Thank you for your concern.

Joe

Quote from: pg32 on January 12, 2007, 01:07:29 PM
Are there any Brummies or Mancs on here as i am from Birmingham but my wife and her sister are from Manchester? I know im asking alot of questions, sorry!, my wifes brother in law is into buying and selling property and while we are in Corfu he might have a look for property or land, any suggestions from anybody?

I'm from Manchester and proud of it, I even support Manchester United and I'm a local, very rare indeed. Regarding the Mozzies the later or earlier in the year you go the better. I actually try to avoid Corfu in August due to the heat, Mozzie's and crowds, the other 11 months I love.

pg32

You are rare Joe! My wifes brother in law who is coming to Arillas he is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford so your not on your own!!