Re: CHEAP FLIGHTS TO CORFU

Started by Lynette, October 09, 2006, 04:39:16 PM

Maggie

In case anyone needs it, the tesco code still gets you £20
  off on the xl website.It's handy to try if like me you live at
  totally the wrong end of the country to get to London cheap!!

Joe

Hey Telli,

One unfortunate problem with Corfu Airport is that is very unlikely to attract any of the British based low cost carriers, Jet 2, Easyjet, Ryanair, etc. As we all know these airlines make their money by being on the ground for as short time as possible and avoiding having any form of overseas representation, this as a business model works very well in most cases and I appreciate the service they provide and accept it for what it is. However Corfu Airport has its far share of problems, its either busy (very busy) or very quiet so meaning resources are over worked or not available, its also in a terrible position, pilots have to be specially rated to fly in, only captains can take off easterly as there is a massive mountain with a big radio antenna right where the emergency turn should be, it is a haven for birds and is constantly effected by environmental factors. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly safe (many airports have similar issues) but it takes extra effort and training (therefore money) to get in there. All his coupled with just one runway and no taxiway, the planes turn round at the bottom and come back up the runway means there is no provision for any difficulties, compounded by the problems suffered last year with the actual runway surface.

A charter or scheduled airline with +1hr turnaround and overseas staff can absorb these potential problems and budget carrier with 20 minutes ground time simply cannot. Think how many times at Corfu airport you have seen the delay signs, problems like this will quickly make a route unprofitable for these companies who can be making as little as 5p per seat. Until the infrastructure improves at the airport I can't see how low-cost airlines can operate and make a profit, this is exactly why BA are trialling the route.

I'm sure one of you clever forumites (good word) will point out that Aegean are a low cost carrier and they operate into Corfu which is very true, however Corfu is a hub of theirs so they do have staff working there and if a problem occurs they are less than 1 hour from Athens their main base, not 3+. It's exactly the same reason you don't see Aegean aircraft in our airspace.

Wow, I've put some information in the post that perhaps I shouldn't, oh well its to late now, just wanted to give a good idea of why Corfu does seem more expensive to fly to even though it is one of the least profitable routes for us, unfortunately its not another case of being ripped off. Its also totally safe to land into, hope I've not worried anyone. One last little point the landing taxes are also high into Corfu so you'll probably notice that when booking flights the price tends to go up drastically when all the extras are added in....................oh well, its worth it when you get there :-)

mumsy2

Hi Joe

Thanks for that very informative post.  I had heard that Pilots had to be specially trained to use Corfu Airport, and I must say I have never felt more scared than I usually do.  My husband says he had heard that the Cyprus airline
were going to drop off Corfu passengers on their way to Cyprus. ( not literally).  Have you heard of this?

I sometimes wonder why travel companies don't do more packages with terrestrial travel, or a bit of both.  I know most holiday makers want to get there quickly, but I know I wouldn't mind and extra half day or so to get a good package to somewhere wonderful.  Then there are those who wouldn't set foot in a plane if you paid them, look what they are missing out on.  I remember Cosmos, many years ago did a lot of non flying packages, We went to Spain by ferry coach and train and really enjoyed the journey, we didn't have to handle our luggage either.  We handed it over at the port and didn't see it again till we arrived at our hotel. it was cheaper than air travel too then.

Thats progress though.  The only non flying holidays cost a fortune with very 'Highfalutin' (?) companies, and even some of them fly you to the continent.

What about cheap air  packages to a port with a ferry place at the end.  I'd be up for it even if it was only out of season.

Thanks anyway Joe

Marie

Eileen

Hi Marie,

I forgot all about the once upon a time 'non-flying' packages!

I think you are right about an alternative means of getting to Corfu, I am quite sure there are a few people of there who would like to take a more leisurely trip to Corfu or wherever without the hassle of driving themselves.

Of course it is always possible to do the journey by train, but then for anyone who is not too hot with a computer it could take ages to put the itinery together.

There are cheap flights available to Venice/Ancona/Bari or Brinidisi which all have ferry terminals with crossings to Corfu. Ferry timetables can be found here;
http://www.paleologos.gr or http://www.viamare.com/

Last September we flew cheaps as chips to Rome with Easyjet, spent a few days sightseeing and then caught a train to Bari for the ferry crossing to Corfu. The cost in total was certainly not any less expensive than a return flight to Corfu, but we wanted to do something different!

The subject of UK to Corfu without flying came up on another forum recently...
http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=24053&PagePosition=0

Eileenx
Your holiday deserves a place like this...
www.villalinakis.com

https://twitter.com/VillaLinakis

Villa Linakis on FB

blondegirl

"
Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2007, 11:26:20 AMWow, I've put some information in the post that perhaps I shouldn't.
Dont worry Joe about the slip up, I wouldnt know which bit was supposed to be there or not.

When we first went to Corfu two years ago we had read and seen a photo of the airport so we were prepared for a hair raising landing.  It wasnt too bad, I thought the pilot wants to land safely too and get home so he will be "very careful".
I mentioned before in another posting that our first flight to Corfu was a nightmare.  It took over 5 hours, we were circling for ages, nearly out of fuel, 1/2 hr dash to Brindisi for refuelling where it was raining, so I thought it would be raining in Corfu, not a good start!
Then back to Corfu another circle and landed.  Took ages then we had the fun part of finding our cases at the airport. But at least I thought we might think about a flight to Brindisi with Ryanair and then a ferry to Corfu.  Would never have known that otherwise.

Another scary landing strip is Zante.... they have to land between two mountains and the turn is like a white knuckle ride... I swear I could see people waving to me on their boats it was so close to the sea.

If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Joe

Quote from: mumsy2 on February 28, 2007, 01:06:19 PM
Hi Joe

Thanks for that very informative post.  I had heard that Pilots had to be specially trained to use Corfu Airport, and I must say I have never felt more scared than I usually do.  My husband says he had heard that the Cyprus airline
were going to drop off Corfu passengers on their way to Cyprus. ( not literally).  Have you heard of this?

It's not uncommon for aircraft to double drop, we do it ourselves at the start and end of the season as the first flight out in May will return empty, no passengers to bring back, seat only for that flight is £0.00 plus taxes at the moment so a bargain if anyone needs to come home, you'll be the only passenger though, how surreal :-) One of our double drops is MAN-CFU-AYT(Antalya)-MAN, it only operates a few times a year thankfully. As you can imagine flights like this aren't popular by the crew or passengers and they are more expensive with the increased fuel use during the extra take-off and landing fees for two airports. There will be the odd occasion when it makes good commercial sense to do this, our Cuba flight makes two stops but its 10 hours away, otherwise aircraft will rarely operate a double drop or 'W' pattern (for those who like to know) flight. Also a flight operating MAN-CFU-AYT-MAN is still classed as direct even though you travel to another airport, it's only classed as indirect when you physically deplane, this tends to create a lot of animosity on W-Pattern routes as the passengers are expecting a direct flight which may be true by the letter of the law, however very misleading.

If you fancy a scary landing try Innsbruck or Funchal. Innsbruck is in a valley with mountains on all side, the aircraft has to literally drop power and fall, when you land you can see people above you looking down from the hillside homes, the pilots use a church steeple as a visual waypoint when doing the landing turn, that shows close to the ground you are,cool, whereas Funchal (Maderia) is on the edge of a very steep cliff which the pilots aim for only pulling up at the last minute to avoid wind shear, its living flying onto a brick wall and during taxi it is possible for the front of the aircraft to be stuck out over the edge as the wheels are behind them, also very cool. Compare this to Manchester where the aircraft will land itself and taxi onto stand without any human intervention. I love flying. :-)

Eileen

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2007, 02:59:15 PM

.....If you fancy a scary landing try Innsbruck or Funchal.

I can well and truly say thats Innsbruck and Funchal well scored of my places to visit list!    NO WAY HOSEY!!

Eileenxx
www.villalinakis.com

Villa Linakis on FB

Joe

Corfu is quite similar to Innsbruck apart from having mountains on 2 sides compared to all 4, still one of the most impressive visual landings I have seen.

Smiffypink

Thanx for all that info Joe, now i understand a few things better.

Im like you Eileen, you wont catch me making a flight to either of them!!  I absolutely love flying, love everything about it, but that didnt sound pleasnt to experience!

blondegirl

To feel as if you are falling out of the sky like that must feel horrible even if it was intended..

I love flying too!  I have never done a long haul flight though.  We have friends emigrating to Australia July 3rd this year, while we are in Arillas, which I am very sad about but we are thinking of visiting next year, if we do we wont be able to get to Arillas as well.  Its a long flight which I dont think I would like much, I get cabin fever after 4 hours tops.  Might have to have sleeping tablets to sleep all the way, but cant go for years without seeing them and the children (our "adopted grandchildren") grow up.

Maggie

That was very interesting joe. I must say tho, whilst it's nice to think
   a bargain may be had, I never think that flights to corfu are very cheap
   and now I know why. I am always happy if I can fly out for less than
   £200 and fully expect to pay more. I don't ever really expect a low
   price airline to do flights there, and I don't mind cos that means it wont
   become overcrowded. (selfish person that i am)!!!!!!lol.

P.S. I don't care how much i have to pay to get there, it will always
   be my favourite place!!!!

Eileen

Quote from: Maggie on February 28, 2007, 11:06:17 PM

P.S. I don't care how much i have to pay to get there, it will always
   be my favourite place!!!!

Well said Maggie!!!!!! :-)

Eileenxx
www.villalinakis.com

Villa Linakis on FB

Eileen

Tidying up my Bookmarks folder this morning I came across the following website for travelling by train between London and Corfu as well as other European destinations.

http://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm

Eileenxxx
www.villalinakis.com

Villa Linakis on FB

blondegirl

I really fancied the idea of the train.  Looks great and you can move about more, stay overnight on the train, see more of the scenery.  If only I can work out the cost, it looks a bit complicated and would need some time sorting out.  It would work out more than a package deal I think but it would be something entirely different. Great website, I will put that in my favourites for a longer look later.  Thanks eileen

Eileen

Quote from: blondegirl on March 01, 2007, 02:05:39 PM
I really fancied the idea of the train.  Looks great and you can move about more, stay overnight on the train, see more of the scenery.  If only I can work out the cost, it looks a bit complicated and would need some time sorting out.  It would work out more than a package deal I think but it would be something entirely different. Great website, I will put that in my favourites for a longer look later.  Thanks eileen

Your welcome :-)

For the Rome-Bari trip it took me ages to find my way about the Italian rail network website last year (http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html)
Anyway after all the palaver and faffing around the whole thing was so much easier to arrange than I imagined.  In fact once I sussed out the timetable and could see there were so many journeys a day there was nothing to arrange...we just turned up at Rome Termini on the day to purchase our tickets!
Unless travelling in high season there is no need to book ferry tickets which is great as it means your trip can be as flexible as you wish it to be.  Tickets are easily purchased at the ferry terminal, but unlike flights there are no last minute bargains! Worth bearing in mind is that some of the smaller ferry terminals will only accept cash, we were well caught out with that and had to back track into town to find a cash machine. Not easy on a Saturday night in an Italian port when an Ideal Home type exhibition was on, the police were directing traffic but it was still chaos...Keith's mood was rather grim to say the least! :-(

Maybe easy for nonchalant old me to say but sometimes we worry about details too much and forget that the world is a smaller place nowadays and travelling throughout Europe is so easy.

Eileenxx
www.villalinakis.com

Villa Linakis on FB